Fishing Sucks

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fishing Sucks

Post by jsuber »

The water is dirty, and the grass is not growing. The grass filters the water and the oxygen levels are most likely low. So what gives. I've never had this bad a year of fishing. And I mean 12 months worth.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Fishing Sucks

Post by WannaDoDat »

Time to go back to that pink Skitterwalk, Jeff. :P

Seriously, we do need to pay attention to the changes in the environment and I know you're out there a lot to see what's happening. I haven't fished salt as consistently as in years past to be able to see a pattern.
I've been enjoying the ever-changing habits of bass in our lakes and rivers.

Jean
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1392.jpg
This is the best I could do Fri. We did have fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CharlesDad
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CharlesDad »

April 2014 big time rain and flood in the Pensacola-Gulf Breeze area. Since then a lot of the grass beds have died. Don't know if they got covered by mud and silt or too much fresh water or what. Fishing is OK sometimes.
DKWakulla
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by DKWakulla »

It's definitely been pretty crap this year. We did a little surf fishing on golf side of SGI today and the water is still murky as hell. Scenery wasn't too bad though :mrgreen:

I haven't seen this bad of a stretch of inshore fishing in quite a while. According to tony over at CJ's the oyster harvest has been horrible too.
RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by RockyG »

Disclaimer.....Gheenoe results below.

I posted a similar thread over on the FS Northwest Forum. It has been frustrating this Spring. I did fair last fall and early winter but not good.....just fair. The creeks at St. Marks have been bad this spring. I have spent the time to prospect for and locate a few spots that have been trip savers recently.

However.....I am encouraged right now. I have caught and released (or my boat has anyway) a good number of 3 plus pound Trout in the last 2 weeks, with one close to 5 and one better than that. Fishing St. Marks and Cbelle.

So....perhaps it's getting a bit better. :wink:
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Most of the trout caught have been big. Which creates even more questions.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
tmanbuckhunter
Baitor
Baitor

Post by tmanbuckhunter »

jsuber wrote:Most of the trout caught have been big. Which creates even more questions.
We got into a bunch of under slot trout on the gulf side of piney island about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
SMcD
Baitor
Baitor

Post by SMcD »

I had a conversation yesterday with a well-known ecologist here in Texas. I mentioned this to him and he indicated that parts of the Texas coast are experiencing the same thing. He attributes it to the cooler temperatures we've been having here with all of the rain and cloud cover, which in turn is keeping the water temp low and prohibiting grass growth. From what I've heard, it seems like that isn't the issue in Florida.

He also thinks that we are beginning to see the results of runoff (herbicides, pesticides, fertilizer, etc.)

Hopefully, it's just something cyclical that will self-correct.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

There was an article here written about the runoff issue.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
SMcD
Baitor
Baitor

Post by SMcD »

jsuber wrote:There was an article here written about the runoff issue.
What do you think Jeff?

Do you happen to know where I can find the article?
DKWakulla
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by DKWakulla »

I am just snakebit this year. The last 4 times I've gone out the weather hasn't been anything close to predicted, and the fish got lockjaw. I'm pretty much frustrated now.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Agree Suber, worst year I've ever had...frustrating for sure.
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

This is dissapointing to hear. We're heading down to Alligator Point on the 13th and hoping that the fishing would be better than last year (same week in June). We wasted a week trying to fish off a dock near the marina and off the surf with murky water on both sides. Nothing but small sharks and snot cats. No kayaks, so we were limited. We finally went to Mashes Sands on the Friday morning before we left. Managed a nice Spanish and rat red in the two hours we had left to fish.

We're planning to go to Bald Pt. a good bit and back to Mashes Sands a few times along with a little surf fishing. Another year without kayaks. If the fishing is bad again, then we'll probably give up on AP and go back to SGI next summer. Hoping we can learn the area a little more this year and find good fishing. I actually like it more than SGI...I'm just itching for some topwater action that doesn't include snot cats.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo