SGI 12.0

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

SGI 12.0

Post by redsinthehead »

Plan to roll into SGI for week of the 19th, this will be our 12th time... missed last year due to wife's illness. Hope the fishing is decent, we're killing reds up here...., trout has slowed down but had a great run until got warm. How'd the TS effect you guys?
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
Fyrewalker
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Re: SGI 12.0

Post by Fyrewalker »

not to sure about the SGI area. Ive had luck around Lanark and out at St Marks. They changed the limit on reds here to 1. FYI.
Good Luck!
Good enough is good enough. Going the extra mile leads to exhaustion.
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

redsinthehead wrote:Plan to roll into SGI for week of the 19th, this will be our 12th time... missed last year due to wife's illness. Hope the fishing is decent, we're killing reds up here...., trout has slowed down but had a great run until got warm. How'd the TS effect you guys?
I'll be there at the same time. We went to Alligator Point the last two years after going to SGI for about 12 years in a row. So many great places to fish out near AP...if you have a kayak. We didn't, so we didn't catch much. Looking forward to being back on the bay and now we have kayaks again...so we'll be hitting the water. Like you, I'm hoping the fishing is good like usual. We did an inshore charter at SGI last year and did fine catching some reds. Not a fan of the typical hook, sinker, and dead shrimp fishing that a lot of charters do...but everyone else enjoyed it. I think there was only one trout caught on that trip and the guide said that they hadn't done as well that year with the trout. The little bit I have heard about this year so far is that the trout numbers seem to be up but folks are catching a lot of small ones. Guess we'll see when we get down there. This will be the first year that my 4 year old son will really be able to do some fishing and he's constantly telling us that he's going to catch redfish, flounder, trout, and cobia. 8O I might have a tough time getting him hooked up to all of those. :lol:
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

We have ALWAYS done a bay charter, last time after getting on boat, checked out the rods and I'm like "this ain't no bay charter". Capt smiled and said, "Trust me"..... we did and we MURDERED the Kings... not too far out and whoa buddy... had a lot of vermilion snapper, large trout a few reds... black drum or two. Hell, I went over the side fighting a monster king... rod never went under, got back in the boat and landed him... planning on bringing my Outback and Solo Skiff.

Did I talk to you earlier? We're staying on West side of bridge.
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

Yes Fyrewalker, heard about the limit drop, but I CPR anyway. Thanks for the heads up anyway!
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

redsinthehead wrote:We have ALWAYS done a bay charter, last time after getting on boat, checked out the rods and I'm like "this ain't no bay charter". Capt smiled and said, "Trust me"..... we did and we MURDERED the Kings... not too far out and whoa buddy... had a lot of vermilion snapper, large trout a few reds... black drum or two. Hell, I went over the side fighting a monster king... rod never went under, got back in the boat and landed him... planning on bringing my Outback and Solo Skiff.

Did I talk to you earlier? We're staying on West side of bridge.
I don't think so. We'll also be on the west side of the bridge.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

we're the last house on Wing St., very close to bridge.... maybe you close we can get together and fish a time or two.
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

We'll be four docks over to the east of you. Practically neighbors, so I'm sure we'll see you out there. I'm hoping to get to fish out of the yak. I'll have to see how many chances I get to slip out without my son wanting to go with me.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

dude... I have two granddaughters following me around..... you ain't tellin' me nuttin'.....
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

:A1

Good luck to you both!

Some friends of mine out that way have said trout is better than it has been in years.
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

I'll be taking my Solo Skiff and my Outback, hope to get some range with the Solo... just bought a salt water fly rig, so hope to fool my first trout on a fly. Any of you guys fly fish and can suggest a fly that might work there? I have a couple we use up here, not sure they'll work on those Forgotten Coast fish.
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

You cannot go wrong with a clouser (white/green or flor pink/green). Dupree spoons or similar spoon flies work too. Pending the tides, a red/white seaducer or a popper. These are the ones that if I had limited time/budget I would use since they have caught the greatest number of fish over the years.
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

Yak Crevalle ... Hope you're doing better than us... Small trout first of week then zilch...charter yesterday over near Eastpoint found some larger trout. Haven't seen a red...
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

It's been slow. Saturday night we got a 23" red and 12" trout off the dock with live pinfish in about 45 minutes of fishing. Nothing but cats, stingray, and ladyfish since then from the dock. I've only been able to get out in the yak to fish one time on Wednesday evening. Found a great spot to drift and throw topwater. A lot of short strikes and one upper slot red lost at the side of the yak while trying to get my fish gripper. Saw a huge black drum swim in front of the dock about an hour ago. I've seen you out on the solo skiff a few times and think you were just heading out a few minutes ago while I was coming in. Hope your luck picks up.
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
redsinthehead
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by redsinthehead »

Hope you guys had safe trip back. Last trip out Sat afternoon before pulling yaks out of water... Drifted little past your dock, popping float and voodoo shrimp ... Caught an 18" trout, got him up near the yak and there were 2 more beside him... One was a freaking hog, I did a quick de hook, measure and tossed him back to try for the big boy and ..... Nothing... Spent an hour there and threw everything in the boat... Too much of a hurry to photo the first one.. :?
2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Solo Skiff