Headed West by Way of Maryland

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Headed West by Way of Maryland

Post by fishinbug »

Greetings from Hollywood! South Carolina 8) Pinkie and I are officially on the road to Oregon. We bought a travel trailer last year and since I survived the very same last year we decided to take a slow trip to Oregon. We left yesterday from Havana and spent last night in Darien GA. We had some tense minutes yesterday evening as we were under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. The impressive front fizzled before it reached us, but as we traveled the roads today the evidence of its passing were numbers of downed trees along the roadway.

We are just south of Charleston and we arrived early today. We loaded up in the truck and drove into downtown Charleston out to the Fort Sumter Memorial building. It's next door to the SC Aquarium and both sites are fronted by Liberty Square. It's an ironic name for the place where hundreds of thousands of African slaves were bought and sold. We could see Ft. Sumter far off in the distance. It made Civil War era artillery a little more understandable. Finding our way back through the streets of Charleston proved a challenge.

We were on Calhoun Street and I first noticed a large gathering of people. Then I saw the name of the church they were assembled in front of...Emanuel AME Church...a day and a year after the shooting of nine people. Sobering day reflecting on history past and present.

Tomorrow we will be on the coast of NC. We will spend 5 nights at Kitty Hawk before we strike out for MD. Both Kitty Hawk and Maryland stops are to visit with Pinkie's family. We'll leave MD on July 5th and point towards South Bend IN to see my Aunt and Uncle. She's the last of the Aunts on my Dad's side and it has been too many years since I last saw them.

We're taking our time to get to Oregon. Our plan is to stay off Interstates and max out at 55 mph. So far the plan is working. I'll send some posts along the way. I'm going fishing in a little while. There's a catch and release pond here and no license required. How could I not?

:D
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Headed West by Way of Maryland

Post by WannaDoDat »

How wonderful, Nicholas and Diane!! This warms my heart :D

Sounds like a wonderful leisurely and long awaited trip.
Eerie present and past history in Charleston.

Been trying to reply but the site has been down til now.
Look forward to your future posts!

Jean
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

I rode a bicycle from Seattle WA to Washington DC and can give you a great path to Oregon from Maryland. Swing by South Dakoa and visit the Badlands. Its amazing. Also check out Missoula Montana and visit Mount Rushmore and the Big Indian. Yellowstone is nice but pricey just to visit. Stay close to the ewis and Clark Trail after you cross the Continenta Divide for some amazing views.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Awesome you guys! Sounds like a saga in the making. So, what happens when you get to Oregon? Is this a destination point or just where you turn in a different direction? Either way sounds like a blast! Be safe and have fun!
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

BTW, while you are in Kitty Hawk, check out Nags Head high School for any upcoming reunions. I think you, Orville, Wilbur and I were in the same class :lol:
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

jsuber wrote:I rode a bicycle from Seattle WA to Washington DC and can give you a great path to Oregon from Maryland. Swing by South Dakoa and visit the Badlands. Its amazing. Also check out Missoula Montana and visit Mount Rushmore and the Big Indian. Yellowstone is nice but pricey just to visit. Stay close to the ewis and Clark Trail after you cross the Continenta Divide for some amazing views.

What an amazing adventure and accomplishment, Jeff!
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Sounds like an awesome adventure! Looking forward to the updates.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Fishbaitbilly wrote:BTW, while you are in Kitty Hawk, check out Nags Head high School for any upcoming reunions. I think you, Orville, Wilbur and I were in the same class :lol:
And me, too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Fishbaitbilly wrote:So, what happens when you get to Oregon? Is this a destination point or just where you turn in a different direction? Either way sounds like a blast! Be safe and have fun!
We'll drive down the coast from Seattle to Brookings OR and then we'll see how to get back home. I want to drop into N. California to see the redwoods. Then work across Nevada and Utah then into Colorado.
jsuber wrote:I rode a bicycle from Seattle WA to Washington DC and can give you a great path to Oregon from Maryland. Swing by South Dakoa and visit the Badlands. Its amazing. Also check out Missoula Montana and visit Mount Rushmore and the Big Indian. Yellowstone is nice but pricey just to visit. Stay close to the ewis and Clark Trail after you cross the Continenta Divide for some amazing views.
That's pretty much what we planned to do, jeff. South Dakota is high on the list of places we want to go. Devil's Tower is on the list of things you named too. We were in Missoula a few years ago when my nephew got married. He's now in Billings so we may try to drive through Yellowstone or find someplace nearby to camp and make day trips. I've been there but Pinkie hasn't. Thanks for the tip on the Lewis and Clark Trail.

We left Carolina Beach State Park near Wilmington this morning. Nice park and worth a return visit. We're on Kitty Hawk Beach this afternoon. We'll spend 5 nights here. I hope to do a little surf fishing since the beach is right across the road. Life is good.

I spoke to Orville and Wilbur last week and they're not going to make the reunion this year, Billy. They asked about you and they wanted to know if you have graduated yet. :20
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Hee hee hee. :20

Great stuff!!!!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I'm legal to fish the NC coast for the next ten days. I wandered across the street with a one oz. casting spoon the local tackle shop pointed me towards. I got it wet is all I can report for the casting I did this afternoon. The water is chilly but not cold and there's a stiff westerly breeze to keep the surf down. My plan is to hit the beach before dawn tomorrow and walk and cast the spoon for a while and then work my way back using a jig and grub.

I had my first taste of rockfish last night at a restaurant here. It was a fantastic dish. :A1
---thus sayeth the suber
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

While your in the area try the Tautog. Most readily availble in Virginia Beach but they may have it in North Kackalacki too.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

One ounce spoon, eh? That thing must fling a mile and a half!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

jsuber wrote:While your in the area try the Tautog. Most readily availble in Virginia Beach but they may have it in North Kackalacki too.
I looked that Tautog up and it sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for it.
WannaDoDat wrote:One ounce spoon, eh? That thing must fling a mile and a half!
With the wind behind me I was getting 1.75 miles per cast. ;) I went out on the beach yesterday morning to cast a while. We had thunderstorms Wed. night and a few that crossed the island yesterday (more on those later). The surf has been beaten down from the constant west wind so fishing was a cinch. Catching has been another story. Zillions of tiny bait fish working the shore break had me optimistic about my chance to get a tug on the line. The sun coming up in front of me and thunderstorms rolling up behind me made for a good start in spite of no bites.
P6210029.JPG
P6230034.JPG
P6230036.JPG
Yesterday afternoon we took a short ride down the coast to check out the Wright Bros. Memorial. The place was busy so we found a spot to park in an overflow area. We had a good walk to get to the base of the monument and then a spiraling sidewalk led us up the hill. As we got within a few yards of the top of the hill I snapped a quick shot of the monument and I told Diane that we needed to get the hell off of the hill as another storm rolled up on us. So we turned around and started back down when a bolt of lightning struck close by. Then came the rain and I got soaked while Diane huddled up in my rain jacket. As we walked down in the rain I turned my camera back towards the hill to shoot video of the storm. Boom! went another bolt. It didn't show up on video but the screams can be heard after it struck.
P6230053.JPG
P6230055.JPG
I'll be starting the pack up the plantation routine later this afternoon and we'll head out in the morning for VA.
P6220031.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Yikes about the lightning!!! 8O Absolutely stunning pictures!
Nice camper! Looks spacious. Do you have the dogs with you?