Headed West by Way of Maryland

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Pinkie vs. The Dinosaurs

Post by fishinbug »

Here are some pictures from Dinosaur National Monument and from our campsite in Steinaker State Park in Vernal, Utah.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Headed West by Way of Maryland

Post by fishinbug »

The state park was a welcome respite from three days of interstate driving across Nevada and three nights of gravel lot RV Parks. We had a site with no neighbors and fantastic vistas.
P8280854.JPG
P8280864.JPG
P8280900.JPG
P8280921.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---thus sayeth the suber
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Yesterday was our final crossing of the Continental Divide. We went eastbound on US 50 and crossed at Monarch Pass. It was another full on chore of driving and climbing. The toughest part of the ride from Utah to Grand Junction CO came on a state road that connected us to US 50. This was another narrow, no guardrails, 15 mph curves, and grinding ascents mountain road. We were fortunate enough to have two semis behind us so we made the ascent well ahead of them with no one riding our bumper. I also was well ahead of those same trucks on the downhill side which was even more exciting than the climb. We are in Salida CO for another night. Today we are going to check out the riverwalk on the Arkansas River and the historic downtown.

Our campsite is on the river outside of town. I watched trout rise yesterday to inhale insects on the surface. I don't have anything to tease them so I'm just watching them. The river is said to have 5,000 trout per mile. While I'm talking trout rivers I have to mention that we rode for quite a way along the Gunnison. The fly fisherman were scattered all along the river. I envied them as we passed.

As we left Utah I spotted a turnout on the UT/CO line and we pulled over for a stretch and to take a picture or two. Here's what was behind us.
P8301009.JPG
This Blue Star Highway sign caught my eye so I took a shot. Notice anything about the sign?
P8301007.JPG
I didn't at first but as I approached it....
P8301008.JPG
Rest In Peace, Sergeant Jason T. Smith
http://www.eodwarriorfoundation.org/mem ... on-t-smith
---thus sayeth the suber
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Central Time Zone

Post by fishinbug »

We spent a few days outside of Pueblo, CO visiting friends. It was a good layover and yesterday we clipped off a corner of New Mexico and ended up in Dalhart, TX. There was a strong crosswind blowing and the trailer was tugging back and forth. Grain elevators along the highway amplified the wind and after the first blast from an elevator whipped the trailer hard left I made a point of slowing down below our top speed of 55 mph. 8) We survived another severe thunderstorm yesterday evening. There's nothing like a long line of red on a radar to get the anxiety level up. The wind blew harder and the rain that fell was the first we have seen in the past 6 weeks (if you don't count the 379 drops that fell on us in Pueblo).

I'm planning to run along the Red River on the Texas side and get past Dallas on the north. We have another friend outside of Dallas who has offered us a fishing trip to Lake Fork. I hope the timing works out. Speaking of fishing I have to report myself. In Salida CO we camped on the Arkansas River. I watched trout rise. I had nothing in my tackle bag to throw at rainbows so I watched. I walked the dogs along the river and grasshoppers exploded upward and outward in all directions. I thought, "Trout like grasshoppers." :wink: I tied a few feet of 20 lb. fluorocarbon onto my Power Pro and a #4 hook to the leader. Then I kicked through the weeds and brush to flush the hoppers. I'm sure I looked comical chasing them but I knew I had a good chance of fooling a fish. Three or four hoppers disappeared with a slight tug in the current before I scored a hatchery rainbow trout of about 7". I kissed her on the lips and let her go.

We crossed from Mountain Time to Central Time yesterday. The trip is winding to a close in the next couple of weeks and we are a bit wistful thinking back on the friends and strangers we have met and the amazing sights we have witnessed. We are headed home...slowly. Our house was spared by Hermine, but as of yesterday there was still no power. I'm not sorry we missed out on the storm, but I am sorry to hear of the mess that Tally town became. A friend of ours took care of a few things in the freezer after the storm passed so there won't be the scent of Eau de Funk when we walk in the door.

Here's an example of a Rocky Mountain High. Monarch Pass is breathtaking in more ways than one.
:D
P8311028.JPG
We're heading towards Turkey Texas today.
---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Best read around!!! And a welcome breath of fresh air after this very trying week of prep, hurricane, aftermath.

Pinkie, I'd be right there with you admiring those amazing old fossils! :A1

Nicholas, congrats on your ingenuity and resulting trout! Well done, Grasshopper! :P

I can't get over the majesty of the views! :o

Gritting my teeth thinking of driving a big rig in that wind and on the scary mountain roads. 8O

Wonderful that you've been able to visit friends and family along the way. :D

Glad your house is spared from Hermine's wrath. Whew!! 8)

Safe return!!

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Thank you, Jean, for the feedback. We rolled over 10,000 miles "the other day". This morning we'll leave Texas and spend the night outside Shreveport LA. The turn for home is happening, and if all goes well we will pull into fashionable North Gadsden County on Saturday or Sunday.

I cannot wrap my head around all of the experiences and sites and sights we have felt and seen. That will take a lot of time and thought. See you soon.

---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Wow! I can hardly get close to imagining all that you and Diane have experienced on this monumental trip of a lifetime!! Thank you so very much for sharing some of the highlights and details of your grand adventure. I bet it will feel good to be back home.
Many memories made!!!

Jean
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Pinkie said GO

Post by fishinbug »

So I found the nearest interstate in northern Louisiana and proceeded to high tail it for Havana. This evening we are spending our last night on the road at Blackwater River State Park. We have logged over 11,500 miles on this adventure. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my other bed...the one without wheels.

---thus sayeth the suber
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Woo Hoo! Only a few more hours to go. Contrary to what you may have heard and despite some very good offers, we did not sell your home while you were gone.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Fishbaitbilly wrote:Woo Hoo! Only a few more hours to go. Contrary to what you may have heard and despite some very good offers, we did not sell your home while you were gone.
But we sure did have some gooood parties there! Billy, did you remember to peel the pizza off the ceiling?
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Fishbaitbilly wrote:Woo Hoo! Only a few more hours to go. Contrary to what you may have heard and despite some very good offers, we did not sell your home while you were gone.
You had you chance, Billy.
WannaDoDat wrote:But we sure did have some gooood parties there! Billy, did you remember to peel the pizza off the ceiling?
I'm glad you left it up there. Now we have something for dinner tonight. :lol:

We rolled into the driveway about 11:30A EDT. I don't have the exact mileage but it's a bit over 11,300 miles. I'm going to take a break and start undoing things tomorrow. It is good to be back home.

---thus sayeth the suber
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

WELCOME HOME!!!!!

Whew!!!!! That's a LOT of miles!!!!

Yummmmm. Leftover pizza! :20

Where ya headed next? LOL
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Yay! The two person band of traveling Gypsies has returned. Things have been mighty quiet around these parts while you were out West. Happy you are home, safe and mostly sound!
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

What an adventure!
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I'm catching up on chores left undone for 3 months. I got messed up on Internet connection while gone and AT&T tells me there is no more DSL capacity in my area. May have to go dial up for a bit.

Thanks for the support, my friends. Next trip is a short one to Myakka River State Park in late Oct.

:mrgreen:
---thus sayeth the suber