inline hooks

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

inline hooks

Post by zeke392 »

I have seen plenty of people change out the factory treble hooks for the inline single hooks. Never gave it much thought until the past few weeks while fishing in Mexico Beach and in Perry, Fla. I would like to change out the treble hooks on some spooks and jerkbaits, but I am not sure on the size comparisons. Can anybody tell me what size inline hooks you are using on a Super Spook Jr? And what size inline hook would you use to replace a #4 treble hook?
Thank you,
Steve
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: inline hooks

Post by salty gator »

J hooks? I'd probably go with a 1 or 2 for the Jr and 1/0 or 2/0 to replace the 4. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by zeke392 »

I don't know if they are called J Hooks or not, this is what I am talking about
vmc-inline-single-hook-7266-ti.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Those can't be actual size. That 7/0 looks about like a 3/0, but I am looking at it on my phone.
You should have been here yesterday
Kellerqx

Post by Kellerqx »

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is the benefit for changing from treble to inline single hook?
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

Kellerqx wrote:Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is the benefit for changing from treble to inline single hook?
What's funny is I sometimes buy lures with straight hooks and change them to trebles.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by zeke392 »

I guess the benefit is that there is less damage to the fish if you practice catch and release. I am more concerned with bringing a fish in my kayak thrashing around with a mouth full of treble hooks. I have reached back for another rod and caught a teble in my shirt sleeve before, and had one in my knee. Last trip out a thrashing fish in my net cut a big hole in the net. I see the value in using them for these reasons. :D
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I tend to go with a lip grip (boga grip, berkeley, fish grips, rapala) for most fish especially those that I intend to catch and release. One on the grip, I use forceps or pliers to dehook the the fish. This pretty safe but you may lose a fish or lure or 2 trying to get the grip on the fish. Except for ladyfish and large fish such as sharks, I feel that this a farily safe method for release. Plus It keeps snotcats and ladyfish scat out of the boat.

I have a Grey branded net that I use for those rare occasion where the string core has been rubberized and it is pretty good about avoiding the trebles. Kevins stocked this brand for a while but I haven't seen them lately. Also Ego nets makes some very nice nets for catch and release. Remember the net will reduce the effectiveness of the fish's slime layer and can lead to mortality due to infection. Rubber nets are less harsh and do not hook your lures as often.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by zeke392 »

I have lost a few fish beside the kayak trying to use my gripper before, although I do like that idea. I agree on the slime issue with the nets too.