No Luck With Gold Spoon

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Foblander

No Luck With Gold Spoon

Post by Foblander »

Has anyone had any luck with gold spoons? I bought a set of Captain Mike's Aqua Dream Spoons but I haven't had any luck with them after using them for the last couple fishing sessions. I always hear good things about how gold spoons slay redfish but I am just not having any luck. :mrgreen: I have tried various speeds of retrieval. Do spoons actually work for redfish in the Panacea area? What can I do to increase my ability to catch fish with the spoons? I know there are fish where I cast because after having no luck with the spoon I will then throw a live shrimp or soft plastic and hook up with a fish. Any help will be much appreciated.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Luck With Gold Spoon

Post by jsuber »

The key to catching Redfish with a gold spoon is to have one thing.......Redfish. If the Redfish are not in the area you are fishing, then you will not catch one. I have caught Redfish on a Capt Mike spoon with the spoon sitting still on the bottom. I use three things in this area. Go,d spoon, Bone One Knocker, and a Glow DOA jerkbait. Other stuff works but i enjoy those three things to catch fish. When retrieving a gold spoon, change up your pace. Slowest pace is when its just barely off the bottom. So increase or decrease your speed when the spoon is off the bottom. As it barely brishes the bottom it creates a piff of mud splash and draws in the attention of the redfish where ipon they see th gold flash and either play with the spoon or eat the spoon. But you need redfish for that to work.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

jsuber wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:59 am The key to catching Redfish with a gold spoon is to have one thing.......Redfish. If the Redfish are not in the area you are fishing, then you will not catch one. I have caught Redfish on a Capt Mike spoon with the spoon sitting still on the bottom. I use three things in this area. Go,d spoon, Bone One Knocker, and a Glow DOA jerkbait. Other stuff works but i enjoy those three things to catch fish. When retrieving a gold spoon, change up your pace. Slowest pace is when its just barely off the bottom. So increase or decrease your speed when the spoon is off the bottom. As it barely brishes the bottom it creates a piff of mud splash and draws in the attention of the redfish where ipon they see th gold flash and either play with the spoon or eat the spoon. But you need redfish for that to work.
This^^^... I love a adl spoon, my number one red search bait ( I add a small ball bearing, not barrel swivel to the split ring). As Jeff said, if reds are there, they will eat it. Love catching a red on spoons as there is usually tension in the line when they hit ( unlike a jig that they usually hit on the fall). Good luck , keep throwing it.
You should have been here yesterday
Foblander

Post by Foblander »

Thank for all for the good advice. I will try it on my next outing. I can't wait to catch a red on a spoon! Lol