Hickory Mounds

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Hickory Mounds

Post by Mongo »

As most of y'all are aware, Hickory Mounds has been closed to vehicular traffic since the hurricane back in September in the interest of public safety. Or so I have been told when making inquiries to FWC on several occasions. Well I figured it was time to put "boots on the ground" to see first hand the dike devastation at Hickory Mounds that made vehicular travel so treacherous so I made the walk from the gate to the West boat ramp Saturday morning before day break. I had 2 1/2 inches of rain at my place Friday night on the SE side of Tallahassee so I was anticipating less than ideal conditions. What I found was unbelievable! Unfortunately though, it's been a couple of years since I have posted pictures on this site and I am now unable to do so. I used to transfer pictures from photobucket but they now want $400 upgrade to allow transfers. Can anyone suggest another way to post pictures as I'm sure you would not believe this without photographic proof? 8O
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Hickory Mounds

Post by Mongo »

Update while waiting on the picture upload for dummies information:
Talked to Matt Pollock, a Biologist with the FWC. According to Matt, they lost between a foot and a foot and a half of road material off the levy as well as several of the box culverts sustained damage and cracking. He indicated that the engineering review was completed and that they should have the final report in about a week Of course, then it has to go out for bid to have the fill hauled in, the culverts repaired and the roads graded. Apparently, they have been receiving a lot of feedback from the public. I suggested installing a temporary gate at the pull off area and observation deck just before you reach the East/West levy on the Gulf. He indicated that one of the Levy County Commissioners had made a sight visit with Matt's boss last Friday to review that option as well as other possible improved access options. He did indicate that even if that happens, it would be closed back down as soon as they started hauling fill in.
My personal opinion comparing the current state of the dike compared to pre hurricane, is that there is no significant change. I base that on numerous pre-storm trips there and comparing the current height of the road surface to the ramp, condition of the docks, condition of pull off areas and picnic areas. According to Matt, their goal is to have the dike peak at 6' above MHT. I asked him if that is where it was at pre-hurricane and his answer was that was where it was back in 2004 which I assume is when it was originally constructed. I'm not sure, given the limited tractor/trailer traffic on the dike, that there is really much chance of damage to the box culverts. Again I'm not an engineer but there is not an appreciable change from August of last year. I hate to say it but I suspect that it was an opportunity to get funding to restore the dike to it's original design. As matt stated, "able to withstand a 50 year storm". To me it's in better shape than half the gravel roads in Leon County.
Mr Pollock did indicate that they have been bombarded with disgruntled fishermen and crabbers. It sounds like they are now (a year after the fact) trying to at least do something to improve access. I've just been hearing the "2-3 month" line for too long now. :99
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

I have been pinging my FWC contacts as well. From FWC folks in Tallahassee to Jacksonville as well as the staff overseeing getting it repaired. My main staff contact was out until today. Will try to get an update. You are absolutely correct regarding a lot of folks wanting it fixed and complaining to FWC. At least that's hopefully putting some urgency on it.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
fishrcutbate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishrcutbate »

Good info, thanks for the update.
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Appreciate the follow-through.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

I think I have figured out how to post these pictures. This is the dike road surface on the gulf just before the West Boat Ramp:

The West Boat Ramp
HM Dike Rd.jpg
North side across from Boat Ramp
HM W Ramp North Side.jpg
Other picnic area
HM0802.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

I did bring along a couple of poles and was able to play around with the top water plugs. Pretty morning. If they have lost a foot and a half off of this dike I don't see it. I could shovel the lose gravel on the boat ramp in a half an hour. Just don't get it.
HM Sunrise Aug 17.jpg
HM Trout.jpg
HM Red.jpg
HM0801.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

I just heard back from my main FWC guy. He said the survey is finished but they have questions and concerns on a few things before they can prepare the bid package for the construction work. He stated the current schedule looks like it will be open in February. Amazing it takes that long. 8O
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Mongo,

Did you walk to the area you took the pictures or drive that far?
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

There is a gate about a half a mile before you actually get on the dike (still heading South). I would guess around 2 to 2 1/2 mile walk. Trying to get them to put the gate at the first turn off/ observation deck which would be right before the dike turns East and West on the gulf. May create a parking nightmare as a lot of crabbers use the area and would probably be willing to walk from there.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

I am thinking ATV
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Latest from my FWC contact is that engineering has been completed and the repair contract is being advertised.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Just got word today from FWC that they have a vendor selected and a purchase order submitted for the repair work. Was told the repairs should start in December and be finished by March weather permitting.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

Latest word from my FWC contact is now April barring any delays. They haven't started the work yet. :x
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
Noles

Post by Noles »

Booo on not even starting job yet.