2-piece spinning rods - what do you like?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

2-piece spinning rods - what do you like?

Post by madphilip »

I recently busted a couple rods (rare for me, thankfully!) and need to replace them. Thanks to my work, I often get the ability to travel other parts of the state and occasionally wet a line after work hours.

So...I am looking for a spinning rod that's decent all the time for inshore fishing our area 30+ times a year, but a two-piece so that it's easier to toss in a sedan for travel. And hopefully under $100.

Recommendations? Thanks!
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2-piece spinning rods - what do you like?

Post by jsuber »

Have you tried not 2 piece spinning rods. I have 7’,7’6” and 8’ Shimano Terramar rods. Had them 10 plus years. Hard to mess up stay away from 2 piece rods unless your looking to keep a gun in your vehicle and pretending to go fishing to cover the fact. But I would not fish with one unless I just absolutely had too.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SRAces »

I primarily use 1 piece rods, but have a couple of Abu Garcia Vendetta rods that are 2 piece. 30 ton graphite. Most of my one piece ones that I fish with each weekend are the same models. Right at $80 retail, but you can find them a little cheaper sometimes.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

Jeff - I should have said all my normal rods are 1 piece. Never tried a 2 piece.

Thank you both for the input! Maybe I will just find a way to fit a 1 piece in the car... never knew two piece rods were so bad!
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

madphilip wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:17 am I recently busted a couple rods (rare for me, thankfully!) and need to replace them. Thanks to my work, I often get the ability to travel other parts of the state and occasionally wet a line after work hours.

So...I am looking for a spinning rod that's decent all the time for inshore fishing our area 30+ times a year, but a two-piece so that it's easier to toss in a sedan for travel. And hopefully under $100.

Recommendations? Thanks!
I got a tfo med fast 3 piece spinning rod. It was listed for $170, they sold it to me at Kevin’s for $100. I do like it a lot and I fish with very good rods. I’d definitely get another. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

Thanks for the tip on TFO rods - I have been planning to pick one up at some point...

However, both rods I broke were Shimano. One Convergence (~$70) and Clarus (~$90). They said they would send me replacements for each rod for half of the original price. They pay for the shipping to me and they pay for me to send them back my two broken rods. But since they don't make either of those rods any more, they offered me 2 of their new Trevala inshore rods ($100 each) for $100 total. Great customer service and a good deal, since the breakages were my fault, just waiting to see if these rods are as good as I'm hoping. The rods they are sending are 1-piece.
zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by zeke392 »

before I got hooked on kayak fishing I bass fished 100% of the time. I always felt (and still do) that a 1 piece rod is better because it is stronger and more sensitive. I am a rodbuilder and have experimented with some telescopic blanks instead of using 2 piece. I like them but they still don't break down for easy travel in a coupe type vehicle on vacations where I just want to take a rod with me. So, I have a couple 2 piece rods that I use when I vacation and I just want to take a rod. I like Lew's rods and reels and that is the brand of 2 piece rod I have. It works well and is a great value for the price I paid. There are some nice 2 piece rods out there, give one a try
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

Thanks, Zeke. I will inevitably be assigned a Prius for travel in the near future, so I will grab a 2 piece like yours then. Maybe I will keep it at work to share with others as the "office rod" since so many in my group also fish.
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

I'm watching this thread closely. I once lost a really nice snook while fishing Long Boat Pass down south as the result of a two piece rod. I got the fish within a few feet and she dove straight down, the rod broke at the connection point and the line eventually broke. That was several years ago and since I've only used 1 piece rods. That being said, the best rod you can own is the one that will let you fish when you have the chance! Working for Delta I can fly more than the average Joe so I'd love to have a quality travel rod for those quick get aways! Good luck on your search and please share what kind of rod you decide on.
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I found this telescoping rod several years ago before a trip to Costa Rica. It works very well and has a backbone that is surprisingly strong. Here's a link to them: https://www.amazon.com/Sougayilang-Grap ... dpSrc=srch

That had to hurt losing your snook to a broken rod, @fishshooter99. I went with some friends down to Longboat Key a few weeks ago. This one made it to the boat. Then we kissed her on the lips and let her go.
P5051533.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Snipe Hunter
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Snipe Hunter »

I would not own most multiple piece spinning rods but I understand that there are certain situations where our options are to either take a multiple piece rod or not fish at all. Have a look at the ones from St. Croix. I only own two multiple piece rods other than fly rods. One of mine is a St. Croix Premier, the other an All Star Titanium made when All Star was still making rods in Texas. Both of those in spite of having a ferrule are nice rods.