Prop type pedal drive vs Hobie mirage.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

KENTUCKYAKER
Baitor
Baitor

Prop type pedal drive vs Hobie mirage.

Post by KENTUCKYAKER »

I have a co-worker looking at pedal drive kayaks and is trying to decide on which type.
He has had knee surgery recently and that will probably factor in. Which is easier on the knee and which is the easiest to fish from.
Any input or opinions are appreciated.
SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Prop type pedal drive vs Hobie mirage.

Post by SRAces »

That's not an easy question to answer, but I will try without sounding biased. Both types are used by a lot of folks. The pedal drives tend to put your legs higher in the air to allow the complete circle of pedals when using the drive. The leg gets articulated more than the Hobie Mirage drive. The Mirage drive uses a stepper motion and this in my opinion causes less stress on the knee joints. Since you are using a stepper motion, the feet and legs are not as high in the air.

The pedal drives have always had reverse. Hobie came out with the MD180 Mirage drive in 2018, so now the Mirage drive has reverse. Based on my experiences fishing with friends from a Hobie and the other individual having a pedal drive, the Hobie can still be propelled in shallower water versus the pedal drive and you can flutter pedal the Mirage drive to keep the fins moving in skinny water. On the pedal drive you have to pull the unit up at some point.

I have friends with bad knees and they have no issues with the Hobie Mirage drive.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
KENTUCKYAKER
Baitor
Baitor

Re: Prop type pedal drive vs Hobie mirage.

Post by KENTUCKYAKER »

Thanks. That was very helpful.