Line selection question

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Line selection question

Post by BackCast »

I know very little about surf fishing except that it has worked well as an excuse for sitting in the sun and drinking beer. Recently, however, I decided to purchase a surf outfit and maybe have some fun with sharks when I'm shore bound. In the past I've always just put 30# mono on one of my heavier spinning rods so I figured I'd outfit the heavier surf outfit with 40# and be good to go. This heavier stuff feels stiff as baling wire and now I'm thinking I might want to pitch it and use 40# or 50# braid instead, hoping to improve casting ease and distance. Any thoughts or recommendations?
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Line selection question

Post by fishinbug »

I like the 50# Power Pro. A finger guard can come in handy when you are casting for distance.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Braid for sure. If you plan to target sharks 40-50 should do the trick. Obviously a trade off between line size and casting distance. Good luck
You should have been here yesterday
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

In the past, I've used 50# braid paired with 120# mono leader. If you want to land more, try using a wire leader. Pitch some cut bait between the first and second sand bar.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Thanks for the replies. I see another line switch about to happen.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

50# braid and a 3-4 ounce sinker, make sure you use a finger stall or wrap your finger in duct tape as it will skin you. Good luck.
tmanbuckhunter
Baitor
Baitor

Post by tmanbuckhunter »

I run 20lb mono in the surf but I'm very rarely fishing for sharks... if a big shark latches on or if I'm targeting them I go for a heavy leader and just be real careful about how I fight them.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I know that if you use braid as backing for flyline. they tell you to use 50# minimum . The reason being that you may have to handle the backing and anything lighter weight will slice you open. For this reason I would go with a minimum of 50#.

You want to go for extreme distance, the pro throwers use 80+ lb windon leader (like 20 feet worth witha slim knot connection like a FG ) and then 20 braid.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9