Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Any tips on Yak fishing in St Joe Bay?

Post by garydroze »

To quote Joe Walsh:

"...ain't never been there; they tell me it's nice."

I googled a satellite map and was right away intimidated by the vastness of the area. NFGFC club tourney is there in May, so I plan to take a day off work soon and scout the bay. I'm not asking for secret spots, but wondering if there are general areas I should either go towards OR definitely avoid. Along those lines, does anybody fish the nearby ICW?
Ed Mashburn
Baitor
Baitor

Re: Any tips on Yak fishing in St Joe Bay?

Post by Ed Mashburn »

Gary- Fishing SJB can be intimidating, but there are fish all over the bay. I like to drift fish over the massive grassbeds and potholes- open lighter-colored sandy areas. I like to throw soft plastics- either on a light jig head or rigged weedless and weightless. I have found white and silver to be good colors for trout-and there are some good old big trout in SJB.
For reds, it's hard to beat a New Penny colored GULP rigged the same way and allowed to sink on the edges of grassbeds.
Topwater fishing can be very good early and late.
Fishing straight out from Eagle Harbor in the State Park is good, and putting in at Presnell's and paddling straight out to the grassbeds there is easy and some good fish are there. In case of a strong north wind- not too likely this late in the year- Windmark beach is a good place for north wind protection.
Live shrimp are very hard to keep on the hook- tons of pinfish will whittle down a cricket very quickly.
Also, don't be surprised if you bring in in half a trout from time to time- there are lots of hungry sharks in SJB.
SJB_ one of my favorite places in the world to go kayak fishing.
Good luck- Ed Mashburn
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I agree with about everything said above.
One of the nice things about the SJB is that, because of the way the peninsula wraps around the bay, you can almost always find reasonably calm water.
Another place to consider is the hand launch across from Stump Hole. Black's Island is a reasonable paddle straight out but I would suggest the grass to either direction nearer the shoreline. All hold fish.
I've only fished the St. Joe Canal (extension from the IC) but there are some small ditches and run-offs where fish tend to congregate.
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Much appreciated, folks. Thanks for suggesting a few places to start. I'm excited to try my new (okay, used) ride: A kevlar Maxi Poke Boat! Stable enough to stand in, and only 24lbs. Won't paddle very fast, but by all accounts, the scenery in SJB is worth slowing down to savor.
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

If it includes the bars around St Vincent Island, that's were I would start.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I assume you'll want to launch pretty early. Something that might be worth keeping in mind is that the State Park doesn't open it's gates until 8:00 am so you won't be able to get there earlier unless you have a state park pass and can get the gate code. There is a $6 fee for entering the park.

Presnell's charges to launch and they open pretty early but I'm not sure exactly what time. You might want to call in advance.

The hand launch across from Stump Hole is free and you can go there anytime. For the life of me I can't remember if there is a light in the parking area or if you'll be launching in the dark.

The public ramp on the west side of PSJ - at the mouth of the St. Joe Canal - is free, open all hours and has lights.
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Good tips, Backcast. Thanks! I have an annual State Parks Pass. Will call them for the code.

A few of you refer to "Stump Hole," but the satellite maps I'm reading do not reference it. Is it close to another landmark (street, building, property, etc) that would help me find it?
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

garydroze wrote:Good tips, Backcast. Thanks! I have an annual State Parks Pass. Will call them for the code.

A few of you refer to "Stump Hole," but the satellite maps I'm reading do not reference it. Is it close to another landmark (street, building, property, etc) that would help me find it?
Stump Hole is on the gulf side of the peninsula and you can't miss it. As you're driving on the Cape (from 30A toward the state park) you'll see an area of very large rip-rap on your left side. Walk around the rip-rap and you're at Stump Hole. The hand launch is on the bay side almost directly across from the rip-rap and Stump Hole. According to this it is called Stater Buffer Preserve Kayak / Canoe Launch and is located at 3320 Cape San Blas Road.
http://www.visitgulf.com/boat-ramps-launches
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to learning a lot in two days next month. Thanks again!
jeeper50
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by jeeper50 »

Lots of great fishing there. On the southern end of the bay, there is a kayak canoe launch off the road to Cape san Blas across from the the huge rock seawall. Or launch near the ramp in the state park ($5) paddle out and fish the edges of the grass/sand pockets. Launch into Indian Pass keep left and work the oyster bars and grass edges on the north side of the area. The pass can get rough at times so be careful. Have fun we used gulp on jigheads, and topwater lures and DOA too.
'15 Hobie Revo 13
'16 Hobie Outback

In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king!
Transplanted Texan

'53 Willys CJ3B
'00 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Righto. On May 9, the NFGFC tourney will be me in my kayak versus all the prop-drives. Hats off in advance thanks for all the gracious advice, in case I have a respectable day.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Lots of good tips mentioned already.

I have had good luck around Pig Island in the past...moreso with the trout than the reds. Mostly on gulps and other jigs.

My last trip there I encountered a huge Spotted Eagle Ray (i believe that's what they're called)....this thing had to have been 12-13 feet long and it's tail was an additional 7-8 feet. Pretty spooky to reel a head-shaking trout above that thing and hope I didn't disturb it. Fortunately I was able to calmly retreat after I had boated the fish.

Good luck, and please post a report!
Last edited by GoodCall on Tue May 05, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPVERN
Baitor
Baitor

Post by JPVERN »

I was studying the area also for my trip down there in June. I'll be staying on St. George island. I plan on fishing the bay side.
I'll be there for 7 days with the family so mornings will be when I fish. I'm planning on hitting the east end from the state park, they bridge and launching at 12th street & around that area. St Joe did look good, but I may have all I can handle at St. George.
I'm puttin' all these tips in my bag 'O' tricks and hopefully will get something while I'm there.
Whether it be with weapon or wits, an armed man defeats an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.
SO MOTE IT BE
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Goodcall: you mentioned Pig Island. Could not find that on satellite maps. Might it have another name, or is there a more obvious landmark/launchpoint nearby?

Your eagle ray encounter trumps pretty much all my gator fandangos in the St Marks Refuge!
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Gary, Pig Island is directly behind Scallop Cove Marathon and Tackle (used to be Scallop Cove BP). It's not a bad paddle from Stump Hole if the winds cooperate. Scallop Cove actually rents kayaks and has a dock behind their store. Mike (the Scallop Cove owner) might be willing to let you launch there for a fee.