Cartoonishly huge cast net: 50 bucks

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Cartoonishly huge cast net: 50 bucks

Post by garydroze »

If you are over 7 feet tall and launching from an aircraft carrier, maybe you can throw this monster. For anybody else, perhaps the novelty of owning a cast net that boasts more square footage than some luxury condos will appeal to you. The stats...

Brand/model: Joy Fish MCN 14
Radius: 14 feet and then some (my tape measure says 15+ feet)
Mesh: 1.25" green monofilament (mullet size)
Panels: 6
draw lines: 32
weights: 3/4lb per radius foot
Condition: Very good. Obviously used, but not a single hole in the mesh. No broken lines or loose weights.

My online research shows that new ones go for $234 on two different websites. I found it in a tidal marsh, spent two hours untangling and cleaning it, and now offer it for the replacement cost of my cheap Shimano reel that got ruined by a rising tide while I was wrestling with the newfound net. There's an ironic short story with a tidy moral in here somewhere...
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Cartoonishly huge cast net: 50 bucks

Post by cotton »

Years ago, I use to watch my cousin throw one of those off the pier in PC. It was an amazing sight. He is 6' 6".

Is it legal?
http://myfwc.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... NMaw%3D%3D
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

I figured out how to convert the 15' to a 14' in about 60 seconds: gathered the first foot of mesh to the horn and zip-tied it (the horn for this beast is 3.5 inches in diameter. 6 evenly-spaced zip-ties did the job). Shazam...my 15 footer is now a legal 14 feet, horn to lead line!
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I'm practicing my cast net grip. What was that about cartoonishly huge?

"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

Can't tell your height from this photo. If unpictured portion of your legs extends down about 8 feet from your waist, you should have no trouble opening the net. :D
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

garydroze wrote:now offer it for the replacement cost of my cheap Shimano reel that got ruined by a rising tide while I was wrestling with the newfound net. There's an ironic short story with a tidy moral in here somewhere...
When you get a new cheap reel, open it up, and pack the housing full with Vaseline. Close it up. Nothing can get in for 2 or 3 years.

Carry a toothbrush and rinse the reel in water and brush around the bail and such to remove the sand and mud, take the spool off and brush it, then spray the reel with WD 40, brush it with the toothbrush again. Spray with a good lube like reel magic or liquid wrench. Wipe it dry with a rag. Put teh spool back on, spray the drag under the nut.

Most of the paint will come off it in a year, but it will work like new until the guts give out on a big Red, about 3 summers for me. :D