wanted: crab traps

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

MaL-
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: wanted: crab traps

Post by MaL- »

yea, i just like the lighthouse because im familiar with it and my wife can come with to fish from shore.
last 2 times i went to st marks fort, up and down the wakulla side one day and up/down the marks side the other.
highly doubt i will go back to the river unless someone that knows what the hell they are doing invites me to go, im just fishing blind out there.

i don't like to go to new places alone, no confidence (yet) in my ability to find my way around or find fish.
that's why i jump at the chance to fish with the good people of fcka, try to learn what i can while keeping my distance.
but I do spend a great deal of time with google earth and looking at more detailed charts.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

MAL,
You need a 5 or 6 foot handled crab scoop (scap) net, Academy sells them for less than $5. These are the old fashioned crab nets

Carry the bait with you, when you see one, drop it down to him, slip the net down about a foot away, lift him up with the string and towards the net, scab him up. When they are molting in the grass you can catch a dozen of them this way in about 30 minutes by just floating over them. Look for the doubles as the bottom one is a soft shell, mmmm.
They are very aggressive, so you dont have to wait on them or anything. I have had them get on the fish in my croaker sack while I am loading the yak. they will grab the bait as soon as you lower it to them.
I often use that little orange bait net when I am throwing the cast net. I just throw the cast net over them, lift one side and scoop them with that bait net.
That advice about the swivel on a split ring directly on the spoon is gold (pun intended). :lol:
The traps are far to cumbersome on your yak and will require the crabs to come to it, you might get one or 2 an hour, just drift around and scoop them up instead.
I doubt there is anything in front of the LH still, you have to go east to Big Cove or the other way past the boat launch canal to the grass creeks around Pelican Point now.
MaL-
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by MaL- »

BigIrish wrote: I doubt there is anything in front of the LH still, you have to go east to Big Cove or the other way past the boat launch canal to the grass creeks around Pelican Point now.

yea, other than lots of live bait last time i was there it was pretty quiet all around, fish and crabs included.

i was just thinking ahead,
this thread is done, I got a couple ideas for when it warms up. :)