Wanted: Native Slayer Kayak

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

Reel Addiction

Wanted: Native Slayer Kayak

Post by Reel Addiction »

Hello All! I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Been a member of that other forum for some time but now I am wanting to join The Plastic Navy! I am looking for a good fishing kayak. I have looked at and have had some sea trials on different models which has helped me define what I think will work best. I want a wide kayak as I see myself trying to stand and fish from as much as possible. I want to sit up as high as possible and I want a kayak designed for fishing with features designed to store and stack large amounts of fishing as possible. As much as I like the Hobie Kayak's, they are a bit rich for my budget. I talked with Fish Finder at Wilderness Way and he said the Native Slayer has the features I want within the price range I want to spend. So, before I jump off the cliff and purchase a new one. I want to see if any of you experienced kayakers have one to sell. I understand the Jackson Cuda is a similar kayak and I would be interested in that line as well. I do have a 15 foot Gheenoe with a 5 HP Johnson motor and trailer valued between $1,200 and $1,500 that I will trade straight up should anyone be interested. If not, I have cash.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wanted: Native Slayer Kayak

Post by jsuber »

You might want to also look at the Wilderness Systems Commander 140. Even I can stand up in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I am not positive but I believe the Slayer is a brand new boat for Native (2013 model or maybe 2012) and so I doubt you will find many used. Similar but not identical scenario on the Jackson Cuda , just recently has anyone offered the Jackson line of kayaks so there may be slim pickings in the local used market.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
andystaxidermy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by andystaxidermy »

Yea shorewalker is right on....kayaking is taking offto where it is hard to find good used period...another thought is sell/trade that gheenoe and add the cash of buyinv a used boat...could probably get a hobie pa14...seen couple for 1800 on craigslist lately
work hard, fish hard
Reel Addiction

Post by Reel Addiction »

Thanks for the info and all good points. Honestly, I knew nothing about those kayaks until my visit to WW last week. I like the Hobie's and their Outback with the peddle drive is a very nice boat. However, I also have a motor boat that my partner and I are trying to up grade to a newer, better model so I have to limit my kayak budget. Shorewalker, your points about the Slayer and Jackson kayak's explain why I have not had any success in locating any used one anywhere within 250 miles. The Jackson Cuda is also very hard to find and I only learned of that kayak by reading an article comparing the two boats. They seem to be almost identical. My plan is to use the capitol from the sale of the gheenoe to this boat. It is the only way to justify the purchase with my Queen! So far, just a lot of hot air with tire kickers wanting it, but they all seem to be no shows with the set appointments. I am willing to sell that boat below market value to free up some cash for a kayak so I just need to be patient. This is a great site and lots of informative information. Thanks for all the help and as soon as I get set up, you can expect some financial support.
shallowminded.too
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by shallowminded.too »

pm sent
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Think about showing up July 6 to the monthly fishing outing (Leonard's Landing on Alligator Harbor). You might even be able to convince someone to loan you a spare. The downside is that the July meeting is the shark / tarpon trip and maybe a bit much for a "new to kayak fishing" angler. However during the social hour afterwards, you could learn a lot about likes and dislikes, rigging and maybe a quick paddle in a few of the boats. Check your schedule and heck we might even let you fish from the Ghenoe if ya have to.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Shorewalker wrote:Think about showing up July 6 to the monthly fishing outing (Leonard's Landing on Alligator Harbor). You might even be able to convince someone to loan you a spare. The downside is that the July meeting is the shark / tarpon trip and maybe a bit much for a "new to kayak fishing" angler. However during the social hour afterwards, you could learn a lot about likes and dislikes, rigging and maybe a quick paddle in a few of the boats. Check your schedule and heck we might even let you fish from the Ghenoe if ya have to.

Yeah come on out.
this was my first monthly event last year and I just paddled around and caught redfish. Lol its a blast.
I too lust after a native slayer......

~~Dave
burroughsa0623
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by burroughsa0623 »

get a hobie! you will not regret it, the revo is perfect for everything and the PA is great too for here and taking on farther excursions!
2006 yellow Hobie mirage revolution
Check out my page FlardaFish on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FlardaFish
Talltails
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Talltails »

I have the Slayer 14. I love it and here are my reasons
The seat easily manually adjusts height positions
The seat is super comfortable--more so than any other kayak I have ever been in(which is a lot!)
The layout of the interior of the boat is well thought out.
It's super stable and allows for me to stand and fish, pole, or paddle.
It has scuppers in three divided areas of the boat--front, middle, and rear. The front compartment can be used to put fish in, empty the contents of a castnet, etc--all without getting into the rest of the boat.
It paddles and tracks reasonably well for such a large boat.
As far as an an all around paddle craft, I have never experienced its equal(but hey, thats my opinion!)
Reel Addiction

Post by Reel Addiction »

Thank you all for the help and information. As much as I would like to join you all at the approaching tournament in Alligator Harbor, I am in Tennessee chasing Rainbow and Brown trout. Good luck to you all as that is my favorite place to fish. The Reds were in there pretty good last week! At this point, it looks like I will be getting the Slayer. One, it has the coolest name possible and having the endorsement from Talltail's was nice. I have been reading your post for a long time. My question is to go with the 14 footer or the smaller one? Does owning the larger one provide more stability. I was thinking the shorter one would be a better choice as it would be easier to load and haul? What your all your opinions?
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I think before anyone can answer the 12 versus 14, you'll help by defining the types of fishing you will be doing.

Fresh, salt, or both?

If salt, inshore only or venturing a little farther out?

Will larger shark and tarpon be on the inshore targeted species list?

All of these things would influence my recommendation and then I would still suggest you rent them both (if possible) and see which fits best.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>