Free 2 pair of old Cerwin Vega Speakers -Gone

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Free 2 pair of old Cerwin Vega Speakers -Gone

Post by Shorewalker »

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega D-9 and a pair of Cerwin Vega D-5 speakers from the early 90s. These were never jazz / chamber music quality speaker but they were a bit load and could put out a bit of bass.

The bad news is the rubber surrounds are gone. They crumble in your hands. It is unknown to me if the bass speaker core has been damaged as I have not run them in quite a while and was eventually going to disassemble / check them and try to rebuild them. The surrounds are about $30 and there are a number of youtube videos describing the process of checking the speaker core and replacing the surrounds (just google cerwin vega d-9 refoaming).

Any way the cabinets are still solid and about 85 - 90% of news (a few drink rings thanks to my college roommate brother - ERRRR).

All in all if you have a lot of time on your hands, have extra space in your room / house, are a little handy, and own earplugs - this might be a fun project for you. I would take the bass speakers out, defoam them, and then check the working out via the youtube video - before ordering the new surround parts. You will need a good chunk of an empty table for a good week or two, so check with mom first before you decide to use the dining table (and then use several sheet of newspaper to protect the table from scratches.)

Note once all of the foam is removed the speaker must remain magnet down without a ton of jostling or the speaker will be destroyed.

Do not blow out your ear drums if you repair these as they can easily do it.

Anyway now that everyone has been forewarned - pictures. There is a 2 Liter Diet Dr. Pepper bottle displayed for scaling. The 2 liter is not included :lol:

Three of the four. The other large speaker was too covered in CD cases this morning. Note some makeup spill on one cover.

Dust Covers removed. Yes those are 15" in the D9 and 12" in the D5.

Sample rip in the foam surround.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9