Mr. Tommy 2 Gobbles

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

skitterwalk
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Mr. Tommy 2 Gobbles

Post by skitterwalk »

Well my turkey season has gone pretty good so far I asked my buddy john if he wanted to go turkey hunting on his property in Quincy and he of course said sure so that Sunday morning of youth weekend we were in the turkey woods 30 minutes before astronomical sunrise making sure we did not miss any gobbles with in hearing distance. As Murphy's law would have it though we were good and lost 20 minutes before the sun even thought about peaking out. I told John we should just stay put until the sun reveals our location but as luck would have it, a passing car gave us an idea of where the road was and where we were. Good thing too because I was starting to hear things...the distant barks of wild dogs were getting to me(Yes they are wild) By sun up we were hiking up and down a couple steep hills hoping to catch one gobbling at the top of each hill but still no bird. Then It hit me, I recognized where I was, from scouting the previous week where turkeys had made little dust bowls where they get in the leaves and flap their wings to get the mites and bugs off. So then I got a little more confident and with plenty of morning light still left I had hope we could bag a gobbler. We started down a sandy road stopping periodically and blowing my owl hoot in hopes of hearing one shock gobble and about the 3rd hoot I got a reply. I looked at john with wide eyes and whispered with a shaking voice “did you hear that?” He just nodded and slowly raised his face mask to his eyes. I scrambled to find a place to set up because this place was WIDE OPEN with a few shrubs and pines that were charred from a controlled burn. I told him “screw it, sit at the base of this tree and ill hide behind you”. So that’s what we did. I handed him my gun and told him mine had a much tighter group and anything out to about 60 yards blast him. I fumbled my slate call out of my vest and hit it one time and he gobbled back…I knew it was about to happen. I whispered to john to take his time and put the bead and the base of the head where the waddle and feathers meet and he just nodded his head. A couple minutes passed and I creep my head around Johns elbow to check things out and about 50 yards away I saw a Mr. Gobbler head right between two pine trees! I whispered SHOOT JOHN! And KABOOM that turkey went to flopping around. I sprinted up to it and snatched em up by the feet like an idiot and a spur stuck me right in my index finger and blood went all over my gloves but I did not feel a thing! Lol I was As high on life as any one person could be and I didn't even pull the trigger.

Now for the second bird I called in this season but the first I got to pull the trigger on was in Monticello on my ex GF's property that they use for deer hunting. I knew a little about the roads but wasted a lot of precious time wandering around looking for a spot I remembered in my head I knew had birds but I just had to find it. Finally after 3 dead end roads I found it and sure enough a turkey was already gobbling when I got there! I messed up tho and he saw me before I could get back to my hiding spot from setting up decoys on the edge of the food plot. I walked back to the cabin cussing myself asking how I could be so dumb. But I knew he was still in the area just a little spooked so an hour later I went back and found him a couple hundred yards away on the edge of a swamp and I didn't fool with decoys this time. The brush was too thick any how. I set up in the perfect spot and hit the slate one time and he had already closed about 40 or 50 yards since I first heard him so I set the call down and picked up my trusty shot gun with a 3 & 1/2 inch magnum blend shell and took aim. 30 seconds later he came storming through the brush looking for a sexy hen. He blew up in a half strut and the hammer went down!! I ran up to him and i couldn't believe how big he was. The spurs were long and sharp and the beard looked like a third leg. I Couldn't be more proud of him! 11" beard 1 & 1/4" spurs

Last edited by skitterwalk on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Mr. Tommy 2 Gobbles

Post by Mongo »

Both nice birds! Congratulations! :A3 :A3 Excellent narrative! Need to try taking one with a bow sometime. :D
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Good to hear from you again Ben, and nice set of birds
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Sweet. Oh hey
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Art E Fischal
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Art E Fischal »

Very nice report. Great birds you guys
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Tommy 2 Gobbles, :lol:

Choot'em John! Choot'em Ben!
skitterwalk
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by skitterwalk »

Thanks guys, and I didn't know you Turkey hunted Suber!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk