Rainy afternoon questions

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Rainy afternoon questions

Post by BackCast »

Apparently I'm not in the mood to work on this dreary rainy afternoon.

I know everyone here fishes and kayaks but what other outdoor, or outdoor related, activities do you enjoy doing? I love to scallop and, if I ever get moved down that way, would like to try harvesting stone crabs, cast netting shrimp and mullet, gigging flounder and any number of other things. I'd also like to get involved with a fishing/hunting/conservation organization or two. Any recommendations on activities or orgs you recommend or enjoy?
Yakmanjr
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Rainy afternoon questions

Post by Yakmanjr »

When I'm not fishing, I'm playing disc golf. Yes it's a real sport :lol: was never any good at regular golf but a friend introduced me to disc golf and instantly loved it. Just like golf, except with discs!
bigboots
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by bigboots »

Hunting deer and turkey.Trying to learn to throw a castnet.Watching the 6 year old grandson play ball.Also trying to grow a garden.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I'm surprised with the wealth of great water you have available that I'm not hearing about more water related stuff. You might understand where I'm coming from on that if you realized the Ohio doesn't have a single natural lake within it's boundries. Not one! Maybe that's why I have so much appreciation for what you have.

I hunt turkey and deer here but will likely give that up in exchange for duck hunting if I ever get moved. I'm a beginning cast-netter too. It seems like something that can lead to opportunities.

Disc golf? There's a story about my daughter's lazy ex-boyfriend and disc golf. In the interest of keeping this a family friendly site I'll spare you that one! :roll:
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

:lol: good thinking :lol:

Well, I know that I am happiest when I am outdoors. If I can't fish I can be just as happy looking at tadpoles and other critters, exploring the woods, watching the birds, searching for salamanders in ravines, taking pictures of knots in wood and other details, camping under the stars. I've been known to throw a cast net and delight in playing in the mud. :lol:
Nothing too extreme like skydiving or cliff jumping, but even the more mundane pursuits always feel like an adventure to me. :D

Jean
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Jean, that's exactly what I want to do when I retire (next year?). Funny you mention taking pictures of details. I've been known to do that myself, frequently something that many might find insignificant....

WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Beauty in the details!

Very nice!!
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

I'll take up one of them other hobbies as soon as I perfect this one!
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

If we told you, then we would have to kill you. :wink:
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Perfection is easily accomplished and overrated. My boss says I'm perfectly inept, and the preacher lady says I'm a perfect example of why the church needs to get back into having revival meetings. I'll bet you have other outdoor interests.

Really, if you told me you'd have to kill me? I've been married for 38 years and live in the same town as my mother-in-law. Do you really think something like death will scare me? Now out with it!
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

One outdoor activity is to find outdoor activities that the whole family enjoys. Walks in the state and local forest and beaches. Some light biking. Camping is always just out of reach whether it is too hot or cold or too wet or too dry lol. Scalloping once a year or so. In addition, to fishing, I attempt to flyfish a couple times a year, and flytie about that often lol. I have scuba gear from the BC era (before children). Hunting from the BF era (before Florida).

My biggest problem is time to do anything outdoors, I have too many normal things to do. So for now, I focus on fishing and try to think of ways to pull it off at least twice a month.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Shorewalker wrote:One outdoor activity is to find outdoor activities that the whole family enjoys. Walks in the state and local forest and beaches. Some light biking. Camping is always just out of reach whether it is too hot or cold or too wet or too dry lol. Scalloping once a year or so. In addition, to fishing, I attempt to flyfish a couple times a year, and flytie about that often lol. I have scuba gear from the BC era (before children). Hunting from the BF era (before Florida).

My biggest problem is time to do anything outdoors, I have too many normal things to do. So for now, I focus on fishing and try to think of ways to pull it off at least twice a month.
My situation is a little different. The whole family loves the outdoors but with both kids grown and moved away, it's just my wife and me. She already golfs, scallops, hikes and kayaks with me, and I've somewhat reluctantly agreed to run with her. She would love to bike and it's likely we'll take that up at some point. A little time alone isn't all bad!

The whole thing about all my questions is that with the exciting prospect of moving and having new things to do, I'm like a kid in a candy store! You only live once and I want to sample what's in every bin! (Good Lord, I just aged myself. How often do you see a candy store, much less bulk candy in a bin?).
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

BackCast wrote: How often do you see a candy store, much less bulk candy in a bin?).
Hahaha! Be careful, these days referring to a "Candy Store" may be interpreted as meeting your drug dealer. And you certainly don't want to buy "bulk candy" or they will hang an "intent to distribute" rap on you. 8O
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

Camping

Jeff Suber
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Mongo »

Lived in Florida pretty much my whole life...anything outdoors...scuba diving...sailing...golf...tennis...shuffle board...lobstering (further South)...any kind of hunting including year round wild hog.