Sushi

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

dakidd
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Sushi

Post by dakidd »

I haven't posted often lately, but have decided that I have to share this:

If you like sushi, sashimi style, Spanish mackerel is awesome.

I found this out last year in Panama City, when speaking to some Asian fishermen on the public pier. They were catching mackerel hand-over-fist, and I inquired as to how they prepared them. To a person, they all said sashimi. So, the next day I brought my rod to the pier and caught a few to try the recipe.

First, the mackerel MUST be kept cold. If you don't get them immediately on ice, forget it.
Filet each side, skinless. Have a bucket of clean, salted ice water ready to chill the filets immediately. Make sure your knife is sharp and has a very thin blade.
Mackerel have a lateral line which must be cut out, but it's easy to see. Cut down both sides of the lateral line so that the filets are clean. Keep them in the salted ICE WATER, not only ice, until ready to prepare for eating. Ice water is an old mullet fisherman's trick, and allows the entire fish to be encased in cold and well preserved.
If you are somewhat averse to completely raw fish, you can soak the filets in lemon juice for a few minutes. This will "cook" the filet slowly (actually by lowering the negative charges on the protein molecules and encouraging coagulation, but who's counting, right?), but use sparingly because it will begin to dry out a bit. Otherwise, slice the filets into thin strips and dip into your favorite soy sauce and/or wasabi.
It will probably need a little salt, but it will rival any you get in a restaurant.

BTW, If you see "sawara" sushi on a menu in a restaurant, it's likely Spanish mackerel.
And if you catch any you don't want, let me know and I'll take 'em off your hands.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid.”- Albert Einstein
SwampYaker
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Sushi

Post by SwampYaker »

Thanks for posting this! I will try this soon.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

duh... i thought lemon juice lowered the positive charges of the protein molecules.

thanks for sharing tony. and to think, i thought spanish were only good at shredding flies.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

That sounds good to me. It's all in fresh caught and removing the blood line. I love to eat sashimi...c'monn Mr. Mackerel. :lol:
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber