My fall from grace.

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

My fall from grace.

Post by RockyG »

Well......I sold my Yak a few weeks ago after struggling with age and comfort issues. Meaning I'm too old to be able to sit comfortably in a Yak for several hours. I had planned to check out a newer Yak with the cool seats that raise up for fishing.

But.......next thing I knew I had bought a boat. :evil:

Used Gheenoe Low Tide 25. This thing reminds me of my Yak in many ways. It's very light, it's simple and easy to launch, it's very quiet in the water, and it floats in 4" of water with me in it. I can stand up and fish (my back is happy,happy,happy) and she poles along with almost no effort.

So.....sorry for being a traitor.....I was simply physically unable to participate.

I'm waiting for Jeff to make me turn in my membership card and decoder ring. :-)

And I still won't fish the long bar or big cove at St. Marks. That's Big Irish's spot. :wink:
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: My fall from grace.

Post by bk »

Tight lines to your rocky.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

No fall from grace that I see! Just a graceful transition into what makes you feel happy and comfortable and gets you out on the water! That's the best thing. These new yaks do have a lot of comforts and luxuries. i got my 84 year old mom in my Jackson Big Rig at Wacissa last week, thinking that she would sit in the seat at the shore. But she grabbed the paddle and took off toward the lily pads and paddled all around the spring! Her first time in a kayak ever and she was amazed about how stable and comfortable it was. I was thrilled for her and she has not stopped smiling about it since! :D

Look forward to hearing some stories of your adventure's in your new rig! :D

btw, Jeff, where is MY decoder ring???!? :lol:

Jean
gatoremt
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by gatoremt »

Congrats on the new Ride

Sent from under my bed ~ Griff
Griff ~ 14.5' UN
Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit"What virtue has joined together,
death shall not separate"
Deus bonus est,
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Sounds to me like you made a great choice. My sciatic nerve speaks to me on a regular basis.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by RockyG »

Here is a pic from the previous owner. It fishes and feels so muck like my old Yak it's spooky. I shall call her "Super Yak". :lol:

WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Wowie! "Super Yak" is sleek and pretty and roomy!

Congrats, Rocky!

Jean
salty gator
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by salty gator »

Nice ride! Truth be told rocky, since Konrad got that little 14' Jon, my yak has been used almost exclusively for duck hunting. Both are great ways to catch fish. Pros and cons w both. Glad you got what works for you! Do you plan to pole capt Dave around up on that polling platform?
You should have been here yesterday
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

If you take the motor off it qualifies as self-propelled for the tournament. I am fishing from my 10' jonboat this weekend with oars and an electric trolling motor kicker for the push home. Looks like a gem you picked up, tight lines.
RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by RockyG »

salty gator wrote:Nice ride! Truth be told rocky, since Konrad got that little 14' Jon, my yak has been used almost exclusively for duck hunting. Both are great ways to catch fish. Pros and cons w both. Glad you got what works for you! Do you plan to pole capt Dave around up on that polling platform?
Capt. Dave and I did some experimenting last weekend. We picked the lighter guy (Dave) and had him climb the platform. The verdict......we are too old and the boat is to small for that action. :lol:

The platform will have to serve as a seat, a leaning post, and shade for my outboard. However, the boat does pole great from the bow and from the deck in front of the platform. We easily pushed along in ankle deep water with both of us onboard. Super quiet. :A1
Baja Bob
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Baja Bob »

What a great boat.
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

I've always thought about buying one of those, constructing a deck for it and using it for tarpon fishing in the summer. A little bit of yak and boat.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

That is a fine looking craft. As WDD says, the new seats are light years ahead but standing can still be tricky in any kind of swell.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
frank
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by frank »

Damn, that is a neat looking rig. Congratulations!
RockyG
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by RockyG »

Thanks for the kind words. I have been fishing the heck out of Super Yak. It's turning out to be a Trout/Redfish weapon. I have had a couple eat in inches of water not 20 feet from the boat. Something I first experienced in my Yak. I also hooked the biggest trout I have ever seen (alive and swimming) on a topwater last week. She came by the boat just to show off her massive size then powered 50 feet into the weeds and was gone. :cry: