Taking a trial run... picture heavy

Moderators: LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Taking a trial run... picture heavy

Post by BackCast »

I didn't figure I could squeeze in the 950 mile trip to the panhandle this past weekend but thought maybe I could find sunshine by going half that far. The drive ended me up in western North Carolina. The weekend went sorta like this.

The water was a little different than where I usually fish in the Saint Joe Bay.

But that doesn't keep others from fishing it.

Even in kayaks!

After a 7+ mile walk along the Laurel River we decided to try for another spot that was at a much higher elevation. We make it there.

You all should know Chester by now. He's the white dog that accompanies me everywhere. Well, he wasn't happy to hear that after the first 7 mile hike he was in for another 3. BTW, I don't see what all the fuss is over hiking the Appalachian Trail. I walked the entire width of it after lunch.

Sunday, before we began the trip back to OH, we decided to have a beer (or some) and give me the opportunity to prove that, while you have to grow old, you don't have to grow up! From one side of the Little Forks of Ivy...

Almost to the other...

Like father, like daughter! (now known as Farmer Theresa since discovering Carhart bibs).

I'm feeling much better now knowing that the sun really does shine and not all water is covered with 12" of a hard topping!
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Re: Taking a trial run... picture heavy

Post by ctoles86 »

Cool pics man
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Wow Wheeeeee!!! Your amazing photo journal just brightened my day!!

Fantastic! Live it up!! :D

Jean
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Glad you enjoyed it. WNC is a beautiful and rough part of the country with a lot of outdoors stuff for those of us who don't care to hang out in malls and big cities. I always enjoy my visits there.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Cool pics man. Totally agree about WNC. My folks have a little place in the woods near Franklin and I try to make it up there each summer for a bit. Beautiful area.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

GoodCall wrote:Cool pics man. Totally agree about WNC. My folks have a little place in the woods near Franklin and I try to make it up there each summer for a bit. Beautiful area.
I need to check out the Franklin area sometime. It's about 75 miles from my daughter's home near Weaverville.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Lots of different spots to fish the Little Tennessee River in and around Franklin. Haven't mastered it and I don't fly fish (need to learn), but I can usually still manage to catch a few panfish and some smallies.

Every saturday night in the summer, they shut off a few downtown streets for what they call "Pickin' On The Square". Everyone brings foldout chairs and there's live music and food trucks and such. Some good restaurants around town as well.

About a 30 minute drive to all the rafting and stuff at the Nantahala River.

There's a great HS football team there (Franklin HS), and the view of the mountains over one of the endzones is amazing.

Very cool area.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Small town livin' sounds good to me. I really do need to check it out. I know that probably sounds like internet BS but it really isn't. We own a place in the panhandle just a few hours from where our son lives. Its nice to be that near so we can visit him but still far enough away to keep from interfering with his life. My wife and I have talked recently about how it would be nice to have a similar situation near our daughter once we retire.