Hickory Mounds - 4-29-2018

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SRAces
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Hickory Mounds - 4-29-2018

Post by SRAces »

Met Tim, Dale and Ed at 6:30 am at Hickory Mounds Sunday morning. It was Dale's first time in a kayak and also his first time fishing in the Gulf. He normally fishes out of a bass boat in freshwater, so we knew this would be a different experience for him...lol! We had to paddle some in spots to get out of the creek, but we made it out to the flats without too much trouble.

While the winds were a little better than Saturday, the fishing activity was very similar to Saturday as far as the bite went. It was better in the morning and more hit or miss and the day went on. Plenty of pinfish to be found, but not the game fish activity you would hope for.

I only took one picture all day. Ed sent me a shot of one of his reds and I included it here. I ended up with 7 trout (only one worth a picture), 1 red and 1 flounder. Tim caught 2 trout, 5 reds and 1 flounder. Dale had 2 reds, 1 flounder, 1 trout and 1 black drum. Ed ended up with 2 reds (each over 26 inches) and 4 trout (with one over 23 inches).

My trout:
Hickory-1.png
One of Ed's reds:
Ed-red.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SRAces on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)
Lake Park, GA

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
Edwade
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: Hickory Mounds - 4-29-2018

Post by Edwade »

Thanks for posting Steve. It was nice getting back to Hickory Mounds. I’m not sure why the bite was slow, but we can’t complain about the quality of the fish! The last time I got several reds over 26 was with Fishbaitbilly at Panacea a few years ago. FBB also showed me Hickory Mounds for the first time. It was also great to catch fish on topwater again! Water temperature was 73 degrees by afternoon.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Me and a few others had some good production on Saturday out there.....went back Sunday with nearly identical tides/weather and the bite was almost non-existent. Strange.

That was probably the clearest I've ever seen the water at HM.
jeeper50
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by jeeper50 »

Great post Steve, great to hear one of my bucket list spots has reopened for all to enjoy :A1
'15 Hobie Revo 13
'16 Hobie Outback

In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king!
Transplanted Texan

'53 Willys CJ3B
'00 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD