Brief St. Marks outing

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Brief St. Marks outing

Post by H_luciae »

While waiting for the stain to dry on the boardwalk, took to the river for a little redbreast fun. While it was late afternoon, the upper river was nice and calm. Just used the flyrod, since that is by choice for fishing up there. Tried one of the "worm patterns" as a dropper since I had read good things about this product. Used a marabou weighted nymph and the "squirmy worm" and had lots of fun. For those interested, here is the link to Global Flyfisher that talks about Squirmy worms: http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better- ... black-bass. Looks like I might need to try it on those large carp at Piney Z!
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Brief St. Marks outing

Post by capncrunch »

I've seen Carpon schooled up along the northwest wall of Piney Z lately. I've always wanted to try some type of popping cherry tomato pattern. FYI, I also have a lot of fun fly fishing Calico landing on the Wacissa. It's about three miles down Great bream and small black bass action.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

What a ton of fun, Ted! We sure do live in an area with some beautiful rivers. And I bet you're right about those flies attracting the carp. The more "feh", the better. :wink:

I remember a "post of yore" about the cherry tomato, Michael!
I've caught carp on small poppers and crank baits. Neither one was red but maybe it wasn't their salad day. :lol:

Jean
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Great stuff Ted. Perhaps a fly swap?
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi