St. Marks Rise Flyfishing

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

St. Marks Rise Flyfishing

Post by H_luciae »

Went down to the river house for a few hours. Wind was blowing, but put the canoe in for awhile. Fished with a black bead head streamer and had some fun. Caught several real nice redbreast in pre-spawn condition. Had a total first in fishing the area for the past 15 years- got a 12 inch crappie near the weed beds. I have been with GFC fisheries staff that shocked them years ago, but not this far up the river. So it was a big surprise. If the weather continues, this should be a great year for freshwater fishing.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: St. Marks Rise Flyfishing

Post by WannaDoDat »

You don't know how happy this makes me, Ted! I bet you had the time of your life flyfishing and catching bream and that crappie!

I spent many wonderful childhood weekends at our family's friend's house on the river at the rise. That's back when I was a scaredy cat kid who thought that the free-roaming cows were going to stampede into the river and knock us out of our canoe. And that the eelgrass was yucky when it touched our feet. But oh what I wish I had known then what I know now! I love fishing spring fed rivers! Our dear friends the Kennedys have since sold their river house and it's been years since I've been on those wonderful waters. I dream about being there, spotting the cows at the shore, running my feet through that beautiful eel grass and fishing the rise.

Jean
Last edited by WannaDoDat on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

Our house is just down from the Kennedy's at the end of the road. Let me know when you might want to relive some memories.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

H_luciae wrote:Our house is just down from the Kennedy's at the end of the road. Let me know when you might want to relive some memories.
:D :D :D Thank you, Ted!! Would absolutely love to! Whenever it's convenient for you. And let me know if you ever want to join up elsewhere!

Jean
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I've caught more Specks the last couple of years than I have my entire life! They were always out there if you went into the jungliest part of the Aucilla River on the coldest day of the year and fished with minnows but I've caught a bunch by accident all over the Aucilla while fishing with a Rapala. I've also caught some from sinkholes and creeks.