Most improbable place you've ever caught a bass

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Most improbable place you've ever caught a bass

Post by WannaDoDat »

BackCast wrote:The most improbable place I ever caught a bass was undoubtedly the watering trough on the farm where I grew up. When I was 4 or 5 years old I had developed a love for fishing but my folks thought I was too young to go fishing on my own. Since my dad and grandad had limited time to take me, I kept a couple of bass and about 4 bluegill and "stocked" the 4' x 6' concrete cattle trough. When I wanted to fish and there was nobody to take me, I'd gather worms from the shade behind the garage (that's a story in it's own) and head for the old trough. That's also where I learned about catch and release. Without that I'm afraid the fishery would have soon become depleted.
Fishing the watering trough and helping your grandad paint wooden lures. Pretty idyllic childhood. :wink:

Jean
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

So the same fish would just bite over and over?
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

WannaDoDat wrote:
Fishing the watering trough and helping your grandad paint wooden lures. Pretty idyllic childhood. :wink:
[/quote]

You have an excellent memory! I actually thought of that while I was making the post. And yes, the parts I chose to remember were pretty idyllic.

Fishing the watering trough was no guarantee that I would catch something but I imagine it happened at least as often as not. On a good day I'd catch something and on other days I'd settle for watching them cling to the bottom with only their fins moving to give away their hiding spots. Switching from worms to maggots, grass hoppers or crickets sometimes was the difference between catching and watching. And dangling a rubber spider from my dad's flyrod, while hiding 8' back from the edge, could also give me an edge when they were scary. It was all good.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Oftentimes observing in a microcosm is the most insightful learning method. Maybe not the whole picture but a way to translate what we see in small scale to the wider world view.
Watering trough fish behaviour as to how to target them in a lake, river or ocean. Projects and feelings of self-worth with grandad as to responsibilities in becoming adult and empathy toward others.

We remember what's important. Lucky boy, you.

Jean
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

Caught 4 10inchers out of a huge sinkhole today. Usually the sinkhole bass I catch are off of the bank in the smaller sinkholes where they're the master of their domain, where the ecosystem isn't this complex thing. This was an enormous sinkhole and I was in the boat so I enjoyed that. Sure I've caught a bass or 2 here and there in the big sinkholes but never 4, and they were swirling everywhere. I should have busted out the big Rapala or the topwater but I had plenty of bream and a catfish. I caught the first 2 on worms then 2 in a row on the small Rapala when I ran out of worms. Also the big bream started nailing the Rapala which was fun. A big sinkhole Redbreast will make you think you have a bass lol!
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I caught my first Redfish today...on a homeade lure while bream and mullet fishing in my boat without the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mouth of the Aucilla isn't usually the most improbable place for Redfish, but anyone older than 30 knows what I'm talking about when it comes to actually catching a legal Redfish. Fishing pressure is insane there and they're pretty smart even when you find them. You might be asking what a guy whose never caught a Redfish knows about Redfish lol it's just not my thing. I try to keep up with everything though so I've read about the Redfish saga. I definitely want to go back with my homeade lure. There were alot of huge fish swirling that weren't Gar (there are lots of Gar there but they stay in the middle doing their dives). I left for the simple reason that I didn't want to face the temptation of having more than 1 Redfish if that's what they were.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

BloodyChamp wrote:I caught my first Redfish today...on a homeade lure while bream and mullet fishing in my boat without the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I left for the simple reason that I didn't want to face the temptation of having more than 1 Redfish if that's what they were.
"Catch and Release" :wink:

Way to go on the red with the homemade lure!

Jean
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I lost a bass yesterday that was I swear was 15 pounds, and this is coming from somebody who atleast tries to keep it real when talking about the 1 that go away lol! This is the 2nd huge one in a row I've lost, with the other being the one I talked about in the mullet thread (hung him while mullet fishing). I did catch a nice 1 that was a couple pounds yesterday though, plus some nice bream. This all happened on the upper Aucilla River after drunk fools in airboats scared all of the mullet away from Goose Pasture. I then went to Mandalay but it was choppy out there so I said heck with it I'm going where I know I can catch some fish. I've posted about the upper Aucilla and bass many times here I know. It's not that the bass aren't abundant - it's that they're the smartest bass on Earth in my opinion, and that that part of the river isn't for the weak of heart lol! Fun times though.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Wow!! Congrats on your near catch of that giant bass! What a thrill!!

After a great morning of saltwater fishing I headed to Goose Pasture to rinse off the salt and relax on the cool river and catch some bass. When I got there the airboats were racing up and down churning it all up. With nearby thunderstorms brewing I left without getting out of my truck and headed up Salt Rd toward Lamont and went to check out the Aucilla. Stopped at Herndon Landing and shoals. Water was very low. Thunderstorms had me call it a day.

Jean
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

This should have given me bass fever for the rest of the summer. Heck the the fish from the other day should have already but I'll be danged if I can't get off this mullet kick. Thursday looks like my last chance before our beach vacation so we'll see.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Haha. I know what you mean! Those crazy river mullet will follow my speedworm or paddletail and make me think it's a bass or mudfish. There are so many mullet at times that it looks like the water is boiling with them.

But my fever is with the bass. Whether it's on the river or lake. Hung one of those Aucilla River hawgs last month and thought I had gotten snagged on a branch. I tugged gently to release the hook and she came straight out of the water and was gone. A true river monster she was!

Caught another big gal on my "last cast" at the lake at dusk yesterday. The small ones are fun, too, but the giants are a thrill!

Have fun figuring out the mullet and have a nice vacation.

Jean
BloodyChamp
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by BloodyChamp »

I'm not able to go serious fishing by this time every year so I haven't done jack since before the vacation (which was lame). I did get a chance to sneak down the road this afternoon to a little creek connected to the upper Aucilla. This teensy, log filled creek was slam dam full of huge bass and bream.

I was fishing with an oversized (expendable) plastic worm and I was extra quick to set the hook since I was thinking Blackfish for obvious reasons. I ended up hanging 2 bass, hanging as in they inhaled the huge tail on the worm and didn't let go lol! They never felt the hook. Some big bream also hit the tail. They were so big that they might have been Warmouth Perch. If I can get my old man up off his @$$ we'll go back with some live worms and do it like it's supposed to be done.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Verrrrry cool!! Ya never know where those bass may be hiding out.

I fished a bit around the middle Aucilla today then ended up on the Wacissa. Breezy and low humidity. Caught a bunch of small LM and Suwannees.

Jean