Lake Ellen?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Lake Ellen?

Post by GoodCall »

Anyone ever fish there?

I don't seem to ever hear reports from there or hear of anyone going.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Lake Ellen?

Post by cotton »

Where is it?
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

In panacea? The only thing it has more than fish is 10'+ alligators.
nice place though....

~~Dave
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Cotton, it's in the Medart area, not too far from Wakulla HS. Very close to the 98/Crawfordville Hwy junction.

It's very different from many other lakes around here that are grassy and weedy. It's mainly all open water. Great skiing and recreational lake.

I remember going back up this tiny canal (had to get out and push the jon boat over cypress knobs and fallen logs a few times) to Little Lake Ellen and I remember it looking extremely fishy. Looked like 10 pounders would be everywhere in there. This was over 15 years ago.

I can't recall ever seeing a gator in there, just a few moccasins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

If I drove that far, I would have a tough time not hitting the salt instead. That might explain the lack of reports. It looks fishy from the air.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Yeah I was confusing lake Ellen with Otter lake. Oops!
:oops::oops:

The lakes above I haven't been to in probably 20 years. I didn't even know they still had public access. I remember there being a huge to do about the HOA in the area wanting to close the road there down and deny access to the lake. Guess I lost interest after that? I remember fishing from a canoe there and catching a few small bass and thinking it'd be a great place to fish regularly......

~~Dave
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

I'm going to give it a shot this evening from my jon boat with a friend who's never been fishing before. I just got a used motor and need to test it out and run the cobwebs out of it anyway.

I'll try to take a few pictures and post this weekend with an update of how it goes. If I get skunked I can use the excuse that it was only a recon mission, or I was teaching a friend to fish :lol:
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Awesome! Let us know because I think it'd be a great lake to kayak- but like I said I had written it of years ago.....

~~Dave
wbass24
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by wbass24 »

It's a deep sandy bottom lake, 16-18 ft in the middle. Very black water. I fish it often, once you learn the lake it can produce.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Launched 5:30ish Friday late afternoon and fished until a storm chased us off the water at 8:15ish. Public ramp is very small, but usable.
ellen1.jpg
Didn't see any fishermen on the main lake, only a few jet skiers and kids swimming off docks.
ellen2.jpg
Ran around my motor a bit to test it out, then decided to try to squeeze back to the little lake for the first time in 15-18 years. The troller got me back there OK (so a yak would be no problem at all), only bottomed out once with it. It's extremely narrow and very gator-y and snake-y. Made it back to the Little Lake and it was beautiful like I remembered. It looks very fishy. There was a boat much larger than mine that had made it back there with a couple fellars fishing...though I didn't see them have any luck.

Threw many different lures and ended up catching only one very small bass on a spinnerbait. Seems like it'd be a beautiful area, just gotta figure out what works there. That lake isn't like most in this area.
ellen3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Beautiful little fish! Thanks for the report.....if its deep and sandy bottomed, the bass fishing may be better this time of year off shore. Sounds like I need to stop by sometime.... ;)

~~Dave
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

I'm with Tim.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi