Lake Hall

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BigSmooth850

Lake Hall

Post by BigSmooth850 »

Hello peeps. New to kayak fishing, and just fixed one up that I bought from Goodcall just recently. I have gone twice on it now and I am absolutely hooked! Already fished PZ and Lake Jackson yesterday (6/24). Not much luck so far, but that is ok..just love being out there. I get off work early tomorrow and I am thinking about loading the yak up on the explorer and heading out. My question is, has anyone had any success on Lake Hall? Anything in particular they like out there? Waste of time? Etc.... TIA!
Bogey
Baitor
Baitor

Re: Lake Hall

Post by Bogey »

Welcome to yak fishing. Lake Hall used to have the best water quality of any lake around Tallahassee, but vegetation growth has really taken off recently, although I haven't been out there since December. I have caught a dozen specs in one spot, warmouth, bluegills, and lots of little bass. There is a depression/old creek channel of sorts that runs through the middle of the lake. I caught about a 5 pounder there with a jig-and-pig last summer at dusk. Get away from the swim area, and its a beautiful little lake. BTW - the lake record bass is about 16 lbs (according to the park asst. superintendent). So, they are in there.
BigSmooth850

Post by BigSmooth850 »

Yea, I went there yesterday. I think I hit the lake to late at about 8:30 am, as bites were hard to come by (did catch 3 small bass though). Down on the Thomasville Rd. side of the lake vegetation is THICK. You could probably throw a heavy Texas rigged to work through it, but its tough. I wasn't prepared for that, but I will be next time. Lillies are plentiful as well so frogs may be something to think about. I am going to give it another try with a buddy of mine and make sure i'm there before the sun comes up!
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

This time of the year three bass ain't so bad!
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Congrats on the yak. Some mojo on it for sure.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
BigSmooth850

Post by BigSmooth850 »

Yea, 3 wasn't bad at all. I guess expectations were to high. Lol

Thanks BK. I'm trying haul in what you haul in! Lol :D
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

I've fished hall several times. And although I've usually done well there, I've never considered the fishing as good as it is at some of our other lakes. The water tends to be clearer there and it is Definelty deeper, giving the fish more room to roam. But the main reason I don't fish it more than I do is that the park hours don't allow for access during the typically better fishing times. If you have an annual pass and an after hours pass you can come and go as you please though. But I think that'll run ya near a hundred bucks for a year.

If you do want to try it again, I'd suggest trying to hit it at low light times using poppers, walk the dog baits, and frogs. When the sun gets up, try suspending twitch baits like a shallow shad rap or lc pointer.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

To add to BKs synopsis....if you have a depthfinder, plotting the humps on the bottom and throwing a Carolina rigged watermelon lizard may put you on the monsters. I've always wanted to fish offshore there...

~~Dave