Not exactly a report but...

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Not exactly a report but...

Post by BackCast »

I'm about to head for Cape San Blas for a few days. The trip is part business and part pleasure, and there won't be much time for fishing. Still, sneaking out for an hour or four may be within the realm of possibility. Anyway, last night while I was organizing stuff to go, I noticed one of my ultra-light spinning outfits sitting there looking lonely. I remember re-spooling it a year or two ago but don't think the new line has ever been wet so I decided to load it up, along with my 4 weight flyrod. Since then I've been thinking about a creek we traveled while duck hunting this past January and somehow I think the two things, the lightweight equipment and the freshwater creek, could mate and produce a nice afternoon. Problem is, I'm very loyal to the St. Joe Bay and don't want to be unfaithful but... I thought about asking my wife if being committed to one, but spending a few pleasurable hours with another would be OK, but somehow I'm not sure that's a good idea. Any suggestions? (The Freshwater Fishing Report will happen at a later date). :wink:
andystaxidermy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Not exactly a report but...

Post by andystaxidermy »

haha i think leaving the wife outta that predicament will bring you much happiness....lol... :A1
work hard, fish hard
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

andystaxidermy wrote:haha i think leaving the wife outta that predicament will bring you much happiness....lol... :A1
I probably should have read this before springing the idea on her. Maybe that's why all the pictures I took last week looked something like this...
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

fishinbug wrote:Lake Wimico could work out.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/us/port-sai ... e-65651848
That's exactly where I took the picture in the post above. It was a fun paddle and some good looking black water. My wife said she'd be happy if we saw turtles, gators and eagles. We saw all three.

BTW, I caught this little guy in the creek and I'm not sure what it is. Warmouth maybe? It was about 7" long, had a pretty large mouth and a chunky body (although not as chunky as I look in that picture). It looked more like the rock bass than anything else we have around here but it was nearly black. I suspect that may have been because the water was stained black.
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Yes that's a warmouth. I love catching them!
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Nice adventure!!

Love dropping a little speed worm down into the springs and caverns along the springfed rivers. Warmouths just pick them right up on the descent.

Jean
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

Business trip @ the cape.. Can I get a job where you work??! Thats one nice place. Let me know how you do I plan on going their for a kayaking trip soon.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

Thanks for the warmouth ID. I thought it was but just wasn't sure.

Jean, funny you mention spring fed rivers. When we launched on the creek there was a pretty strong current heading toward Wimico. About 1 1/2 miles up stream the creek became much more narrow and slow flowing, and then I noticed there was a slow current moving away from the lake. The only thing I could figure was that there was a substantial spring in the creek right at that point.

I wish my employer would send me to the Cape for business. Fact is, it was more personal business. I'm getting close to retirement and we bought a small property on CSB last fall where we plan to eventually build a retirement home. Then another lot - one with a really nice bay view - became available and sparked my interest so we spent some time looking at properties. Decided to stick with the one we have. But if you really want a job where I work, like I said, I'm approaching retirement. (But the fishing here sucks.)