ST Marks NWR - 13 Sep 2015

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

ST Marks NWR - 13 Sep 2015

Post by Moore Lyon and Quick »

I've been wade fishing most of the summer but took the kayak out today and fished the refuge from 8:00AM to 3:30PM. Started at Long Bar but got nothing. Went up the East River and scratched a ladyfish, a jack and a catfish (trash slam!, although I don't count the jack crevalle as a trash fish) along with a small spanish. Fish came on Olive/chart/white clousers. Went back to Long Bar with the incoming and saw lots of silversides along the oyster bar so I worked the bar with the clouser and got 5 redfish in about a hour - 2 19's, 1 18" and two rats. Nothing real picture worthy but fun, especially on the 7wt. No trout - haven't caught one in a while.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: ST Marks NWR - 13 Sep 2015

Post by BackCast »

Sounds like a good day on the water.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Fun stuff! Congrats and thanks for posting.

Jean
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Great stuff on the fly! I'd rather catch fish on fly than by any other means. Do you tie your own flies?
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

bk wrote:Great stuff on the fly! I'd rather catch fish on fly than by any other means. Do you tie your own flies?
Yes - I tie up a couple a night, since I seem to lose about 5 or 6 every time I fish. Mostly clousers or clouser varients, gartside gurglers, sand shrimp, cowan's coyotes and some puglisi patterns.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Very cool! We should swap ties sometime.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

bk wrote:Very cool! We should swap ties sometime.
Yeah - I'll try and post up a couple of pics later - they're not too pretty! I'm geared more toward blind casting than sight casting; most of what I catch is on a clouser (3/16 eyes) on an intermediate line.
Last edited by Moore Lyon and Quick on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Nothing wrong with blind casting in my opinion. That's 98% of what I do, fly or conventional. And, flies don't need to be pretty, as long as they make you happy.