Titusville baby tarpon last weekend

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Titusville baby tarpon last weekend

Post by abcarias »

Was in the area so stopped by to checkout the canals at Merritt island refuge last weekend. Jumped 3 babies with about another dozen additional bites over two days. No pics so this post is worthless according to Suber but I thought Id let you know. I think a 6wt would have been ideal, my 8 felt a little too much. The fish were under 10 lbs..oh and a yak would have been helpful, I walked the dikes. Watch out for them big gators...theres a bunch!

happy new year to all!

beanbag
><}}}> BeanBagSteve <{{{><
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Titusville baby tarpon last weekend

Post by bk »

Good stuff Steve.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Great way to close out 2015, Steve.

Happy New Year 2016! :A1

Jean
Ed Mashburn
Baitor
Baitor

Post by Ed Mashburn »

Steve- Exactly where were you at Titusville? I was down there a month or so ago- very, very windy- couldn't do much in the wind.
We looked at Biolab road and Haulover Canal- looked at the bird road, too.
I never saw any signs of baby tarpon, and I severely wanted to.
Thanks- congratulations on the little tarpon- good work.
Ed Mashburn
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

I hooked a 5 lb plus on bio lab road. It's a popular place so fish are wary. Drive the road along the water, stop and make casts. Take your time awnd use small flies. The hunt is almost as much fun as jumping them. Go to the space center and turn right twice to get to Pine island road, then another right turn. Go to the end of that road (or fish along it). The bt's are all in there with mullet. They are mostly two to 5 lbs from the few times I've caught bts there.

If you don't catch any go to Dixie crossroads for dinner. You'll feel the trip was still worth it :lol:

Also consider.......

It's late in the season so you may want to go when it's warmer

Hope this helps a little, good luck!

Steve
Last edited by abcarias on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Mashburn
Baitor
Baitor

Post by Ed Mashburn »

Steve- yes, it will be next year before I'll try it again- I'd love to go see a rocket launch and also get into some backwater baby tarpon at Merritt Island. I had to leave my trip over there this fall early- kid got sick. but I plan on going back- it's a fine place.- Ed Mashburn
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

Nice report Steve. Those baby Tarpon (the only kind I've ever caught) go crazy just like there big brothers and sisters. They also have a knack for dislodging hooks. Congrats.
I've never tried fly fishing and am pretty convinced I'd end up with a fly stuck in my eye. Since listening to you and Baja Bob talking about fly fishing when we were at Spring Warrior in October I have been thinking about it. The last thing I need to do is add another drug to this addiction I cal fishing!
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Great idea about going when they have a rocket launch. Let me know if you hear of one. Spring warrior get together was awesome. Never enjoyed laughing so much with a great bunch of guys and awesome dinner. Hoping to see that set of folks again!

To be honest, I usually find the baby tarpon with an ultralight spinning outfit then change to fly-rod when i get a strike. It saves time as you stop and start a lot while locating the fish. You often dont see any sign of them though sometimes they strike the surface lightly (sometimes not so lightly) as if they are often feeding on small bait. Keep in mind that many of these fish are in a dietary transition to bigger meals. Also, when you see a place that looks good, just watch for 5 minutes. If you start casting too soon, I think the fish tend to keep a low profile.

Again, locals hammer these fish most of the year so find places where it doesn't look like heavy traffic has come through recently. I believe these bt's are in all of the canals! Let me know how it goes!

Steve
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

South Merritt Island

Judson Road:

Hall Road:

Bring a bike :D
Can't wait till this summer.........
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

Went back this weekend. The baby babies were biting real well. Caught at least 6 like the cutie in the pic with several refusals. Also jumped three or four nice ones like those in Mikes post. Sadly I couldn't get them in, but at least I know they are still there even with the temperatures starting to drop down there. Loved Mikes idea with the bike 8)

My last fish of the day was a baby snook
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Enjoying retirement Steve?

Looking forward to getting back into tarpon full tilt this summer.

Take a look at this:

http://www.silverkingstv.com/