Tapoons

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

SwampYaker
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Tapoons

Post by SwampYaker »

So I know we have a few that chase the poon around here but do any of yall do it with a flyrod in hand. I have never caught one yet and im a noob to the fly but hell i have 6 months to prepare and I might as well go big or go home right? what would be a recommendation on a setup if I had intentions of landing my first tarpon?
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Tapoons

Post by capncrunch »

I wouldn’t consider myself a fly guy. I’ve tried it for bass, reds and trout and have come to the conclusion that plugging is the way for me. That being said here’s my two cents on tarpon yak fly fishing. You are already at a disadvantage fishing for poon out of a yak. Why make it insurmountable? If you really want to land a poon with a fly, Turkey Point Shoal is where you need to be. And getting there in a yak is troublesome (1.5-2.5 miles offshore). My recommendation for a poon fly gear setup would be to purchase a 17ft Hellsbay. If you want to try a ladder, I can help, but be willing to piss off a few guides. That’s my summer advice.

Now if you want to chase them this winter. Find an 7/8 weight rod and send me a pm.
SwampYaker
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SwampYaker »

capncrunch wrote:I wouldn’t consider myself a fly guy. I’ve tried it for bass, reds and trout and have come to the conclusion that plugging is the way for me. That being said here’s my two cents on tarpon yak fly fishing. You are already at a disadvantage fishing for poon out of a yak. Why make it insurmountable? If you really want to land a poon with a fly, Turkey Point Shoal is where you need to be. And getting there in a yak is troublesome (1.5-2.5 miles offshore). My recommendation for a poon fly gear setup would be to purchase a 17ft Hellsbay. If you want to try a ladder, I can help, but be willing to piss off a few guides. That’s my summer advice.

Now if you want to chase them this winter. Find an 7/8 weight rod and send me a pm.
That is all the more reason to go for it right?
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

I found some places in Titusville (Merrit Island preserve) this summer where you should be able to catch small tarpon on a fly walking the ditches. I jumped three in a day and a half. I would use an 8 wt with a sinking tip, using small to medium sized clousers and/or deceivers. Its less than a 4 hour drive and hotels are cheap. Most of the places up here have been hammered so much its hard to get a poon to bite a fly (in my experience). Crunch has a nose for poons so follow his advice. Its always served me well :-).
><}}}> BeanBagSteve <{{{><
SwampYaker
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by SwampYaker »

We will see. I'm going to be fishing 4 days at a time and possibly I might take some vacation and hit it for 9 or 10 days straight. I am pretty determined.
new2yaks11
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by new2yaks11 »

I want my first Tarpon as well, especially from my yak. I am not sure I I can do it on the fly from my yak but I'll try. I'd also be happy with spinning gear. Just want my first one:)
Talltails
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Talltails »

The biggest problem with landing a poon on the fly from a kayak is the "angle of sight issue" Being so low on the water has major disadvantages in this department. Crunch was serious about inviting you on his ladderzilla, though. He's one of the few guys I know that not only discusses hair brained ideas, but also participates in them---sometimes with truly magnificent results both good and bad.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

It took me six straight years of Tarpon fishing to land one with a pinfish and a cork. Good luck trying it with a fly rod.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon