New to Fly Fishing

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

New to Fly Fishing

Post by Geoyaker »

All,

So my buddy and I planned a Tarpon Fly fishing trip with Brett Martina out of Apalach in june. I had to say that I had never fly fished and the trip was really for my buddy. But he had to cancel and now my brother is going with me. But not the point. So since we booked this trip, I have been completely absorbed with fly fishing and fly tying. I have set up a bench in my office and while I am working (12 hour night shifts) I have tons of time to tie flies. So I wanted to say hi to this side of the forum and get any advise on flies, what you guys and gals use around here for different species, if anyone is interested in my flies (sounds kinda gross), etc.

I have been tying the Clouser and also working on a pinfish pattern using Yak and also using EP fibers. I tied a sweet (well I thought so) bluegill for my buddy and his pond bass. Also I have been playing around using this flexible UV apoxy and made some sweet little spoons. I will post some pics.

Any and all input is appreciated.

thanks
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: New to Fly Fishing

Post by Geoyaker »

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

also this guy. call it the Flounder Pounder

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Very cool. Some great looking ties. YouTube can be a great source for instruction if you're looking for instructions or methods. I have found that the fly doesn't matter as much to the fish as the presentation. Good luck with the tarpon.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

Having fished much of the Bay with a fly, mostly for specs & reds, I did have an opportunity to fish for tarpon with a guide. If you are wanting to go for tarpon, you might want to consider doing a few "Black Death" or other tarpon style feather flys. They are very easy to tie and are also real good for the other species in the bay. Black will be a good color in East Bay, but if you go to the sand flats a brighter color (Chartreuse) works great. For some of the bars, the tried and true "Seaducer" patterns will always come in handy. Welcome to the wonderful world of flyfishing and tieing.
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Thanks for the tarpon suggestions. I will mainly be targeting reds, specs, and Flounder. Any suggestions for those three?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Geoyaker wrote:Thanks for the tarpon suggestions. I will mainly be targeting reds, specs, and Flounder. Any suggestions for those three?

poppers, seaducers, gurglers, and clousers. in that order.

some personal favs

"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Thanks BK,

Never thought of poppers but they look really fun to tie. Guess I will be buying some more material tonight. Thanks again guys. Once this weather simmers down and I get comfortable casting from a yak, if anyone is going out in Apalach bay area, please let me know. Even it just to spin cast.
H_luciae
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by H_luciae »

BK- you forgot in your picture one of the long time (15 yr) favorites for all species- the "electric chicken" colored clouser. We had the "electric chicken" colors long before the plastic guys started producing them :lol: . But seriously, those colors in a clouser will take about anything- for me it is my go-to fly in Apalach Bay/behind St.George.
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Ah yes the infamous electric chicken. I don't think I have hot pink bucktail. I am focusing my tying on mastering the bait fish patterns using EP and YAK

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

I'm not a huge fan of EP., mostly because I thought it looked better out of the water than in the water. And, I found it to be messy, in that it grabbed every other hook around it.
Marabou, on the other hand, looks great in the water and it comes in any color. And is about half the price of that EP.
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Yea I agree with you about it being messy. I feel like I am throwing half the pack of fibers away every time I pull out a bundle from the pack. It does tie easily. I like natural materials, so I lean toward YAK. Not sure why I like naturals, maybe some purist in me or something.somethingvthat says a fly should be made of hair or fur not blended fibers made from natural gas biproducts.
I haven't tried Marabou yet. Got some deer hair coming. Gonna learn to pack and spin it.

I have found that Instagram is a great place for design ideas. Some of the flies people are tying are unreal.

Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Also my first rod and reel are coming today from Cape Harbor in Tallahassee. Can't wait for the UPS man to get here.

Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

If anyone is on instagram, hit me up. Username Geospearo I would love to follow some local guys and gals.

bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

sorry, no insta g for me.
http://youtu.be/-8y6AfaYId4
ep himself. a good vid if you want to learn his stuff.

as for the unreal stuff that some people tie,. they sure are nice looking... to start with. many of them are good for only 1 hit, if that. they either get torn up, fall apart, or end up looking like something my cat coughed up. Ugly flies catch fish just as well. The important thing is to have fun with it all.

congrats on your rod n reel. what did you get?