How I spent my Memorial Day

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

How I spent my Memorial Day

Post by Geoyaker »

While most of America was sucking down "beer" and eating hotdogs, I was sweating my face off learning a couple new flies. Let me back up.

As I was scrolling through Instagram one night, I came across this mono shrimp fly. But this fly wasn't like the ones I has seen before this was something else. So after liking the photo, following the user, and digging through all his other pictures, I realized he lived in Panama City. So I contacted him and asked him to teach me. I had to learn this fly. So he agreed and on Memorial Day Sunday I drove 2 hours and sit in a steaming hot shed for hours during the heat of the day and he showed me how to tie this beauty and also how to stack Deer Hair.

These two pics are actually one of the shrimp that he tied. There have been some modifications since this version. The dumbell weight has been replaced with lead wraps to give it a more realistic sink.

Waiting on the materials to come in the mail, then watch out reds, flounder, trout, catfish, sheepies, ladyfish, et.

What do you guys think.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: How I spent my Memorial Day

Post by bk »

Fabulous looking tie. Sounds and looks like time well spent. I'm sure he enjoyed teaching you just as much as you enjoyed learning. As for the sauna experience, "no pain no gain". Can't wait to see what it catches.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Very cool looking tie. I'd be interested in the material list.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Shorewalker wrote:Very cool looking tie. I'd be interested in the material list.
Looks like its listed on the paper in the background. :lol:
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

Nope that was the notes for the the deer hair poppers this guy makes. I have never tried to stack DH before so he showed me how and being the nerd I am, I took notes. The shrimp is basically 20lb mono, mono thread, shrimp eyes, .30 lead wire, tan sparklebraid, and a little hair. Then color it brown and use 20 minute epoxy. He uses a Mustad 34007 1/0 hook.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

20lb mono, mono thread, shrimp eyes, .30 lead wire, tan sparklebraid, and a little hair.

Sounds just like my high school girlfriend!