ST Marks NWR - 16 Nov

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

ST Marks NWR - 16 Nov

Post by Moore Lyon and Quick »

Fished out of my new used Native Ultimate 14.5 for the first time today at the refuge from 11:00 to 5:00. Went out to long bar and got an 18" trout on the first cast. It came on an Olive/Charteuse/white clouser. Nest cast I hooked up again but it ran toward me and shook the hook. Things quieted down after the tide slowed (for me anyway - somebody in a Hobie was catching trout pretty steady by trolling a small artifical). Tried the wash bar and then back to long bar but couldn't get anything going. I was about to pack it in (actually reeling the fly in to go home) when I got a solid hit and landed a 20" trout on a bead chain clouser. By this time, it was cloudy and the wind had died. I figured that a topwater might work - tied on a Gartside Gurgler and got an 18" trout, soon followed by a 19" a 16" and two 17" trout. I also lost 3 or 4 more on pulled hooks or fooling around with trying to land them (need to get a net!). It was pretty much fish on, or a swirl at the gurgler on every cast for 30 - 45 minutes. I kept two trout and released the rest.

New yak at long bar:

Chewed Gurgler:

The Native Ultimate worked out pretty good for fly fishing - still have to work out a few things with it, but I enjoyed it.
Last edited by Moore Lyon and Quick on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Re: ST Marks NWR - 16 Nov

Post by Geoyaker »

Nice work. sounds like a fun few hours.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Try a pvc seat riser modification. You should be able to throw the fly while seated as well.
Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

capncrunch wrote:Try a pvc seat riser modification. You should be able to throw the fly while seated as well.
I may do that. Actually, I was surprised at how much easier it was to cast when sitting down than I thought it would be. I did like getting out of the yak to stretch the legs but compared to the old Pamlico Lite I had 12 years ago, the Native Ultimate seat is like a Laz-E-Boy
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Nice yak!
Way to go on the trout!
Love when I catch them when I'm just reeling in to stop fishing. :D

Jean
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

That is great, looking forward to seeing you out there, (after it warms up :lol: )
and from personal experience, I carry a second 1 pound anchor that I only use when I leave the yak, it attaches directly to yak, I had mine break loose once
JuanitoElDorito
Baitor
Baitor

Post by JuanitoElDorito »

Hey, nice to hear you caught some more trout after we left. I was the other guy anchored on the long bar that only caught the bluefish on an old topwater. My friend was actually trolling around in his Native Slayer Propel 13. He was successful in catch 11 trout on a purple mirrolure. He was having the time of his life. He was comparing the "Purple Monster" to his other "match the hatch" lure, which only had 1 hit, but came off before he could land it. Nice talking to you, maybe we'll see you out there again.
-Jon
Moore Lyon and Quick
Baitor
Baitor

JuanitoElDorito wrote:Hey, nice to hear you caught some more trout after we left.
Thanks - It was pretty fast and furious there for about 30 minutes - love seeing the trout tails swish as they charge the fly!