Best fishing pliers?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Best fishing pliers?

Post by GoodCall »

What are the best pliers for fishing? GO!
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Best fishing pliers?

Post by cotton »

The $1 ones. Every time I buy a decent pair I lose them.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

$4 pliers sink at same speed as $100 plies but are a lot less likely to fall in.

Duncan
bluecorners
Baitor
Baitor

Post by bluecorners »

I buy cheap needle nose pliers too. They either go overboard or rust away, then I use a new one. I pay no more than $2- and buy 3-4 at a time when I see them on sale. Been doin this forever. I also use cheap nail clippers for line cutters. Plastic buckets as tackle boxes===you get the idea.
(For work I buy the cheapest laptop computers I can get, usually under $300- , and throw them out when they break. They last about 1 1/2 years and are usually obsolete by then regardless of what they cost new.)

My "savings" go into the boat/motor/trailer.
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

GoodCall wrote:What are the best pliers for fishing? GO!
Good question. I rarely drop pliers overboard or lose them (who would do that anyway?) but I often spew really bad words when I need them quickly and find that they're frozen up from rust or corrosion. I tried plastic ones and they're junk. Considering a set of aluminum or titanium but I'm tight enough to squeeze the poop from the buffalo on a nickle, or at least I was when there were buffaloes on nickles. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has found reasonably priced pliers that are resistant to rust and corrosion.
Snipe Hunter
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Snipe Hunter »

I use one of the less expensive leathermans. It just has pliers and a couple of screwdrivers. It folds up in half and fits in its small nylon pouch. It is made from stainless steel and has been going strong for a handful of years. On the handle is a loop so you can attach a lanyand and clip to you your belt loop, kayak, or whatever. I have dropped mine in the water more times than I can count. I got them new off ebay and didn't pay more than $15.
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

I used the plastic X tools brand floating ones (eBay, never seen them in a local store) for awhile. For being plastic, they sure are strong and durable. The teeth eventually do wear down because, well...they're plastic. I bought a pair from walmart that I want to say were Berkley...they looked identical, yet were absolute crap and snapped at the hinge the first time I used them. I also have a plastic pair with stainless teeth from Bass Pro. Also crap....they act like they're doing yoga and bend into a pretzel when I attempt to remove hooks. I've had aluminum/stainless plier envy for awhile and was wondering if there was one go-to brand that everyone loved. Sounds like the answer to that is "no".
madphilip
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by madphilip »

I recently bought some aluminum ones at Kevin's for under $20 on a gift card someone gave me. I threw out the pouch immediately but kept the included lanyard. They've worked well so far, and I clip the lanyard (it's long) to the milk crate before launching.
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Picked up this pair of Mustad's yesterday....we'll see how they work.Not real expensive and they seem pretty solid.

http://fishfreakonline.com/mustadpliers ... 7AodTSAAkw
bananayak

Post by bananayak »

I will always have a pair of pliers capable of cutting a stainless steel treble hook onboard. For fishing line trims, etc. I like a good pair of nail trimmers on a leash.
Yellow Revolution 11
RyanWarden
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by RyanWarden »

I use Boomerang "the grip" pliers. Their anodized tungsten and $30. Plus their an awesome Florida gator color and come with a belt holster and retaining cable. So their either always on my hip or attached to my seat. No close calls whatsoever with losing them & saltwater seems to not affect the sealed bearing
Tight Lines
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Some fantastic advice from all of you. Thanks. I have yet to find the perfect fishing plier. To me, it should;

1. Be long enough to to reach down in a fishes mouth.
2. Have a cutter able to cut braid, mono, and flouro.
3. Have a cutter able to cut a steel hook.
4. Be corrosion resistant.
5. Be lightweight

I currently use the Calcutta brand pliers. They do fine but rust up after a while.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
GoodCall
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by GoodCall »

Those Mustad's I linked above were junk. Rusted/Corroded to where they were completely immobile after one trip to the salt (and they were rinsed thoroughly, too). I even soaked them in PB Blaster to try to free them back up, but they became a paperweight. What a joke.

Completely done with steel pliers. I've switched to these and they've been great through a few trips. Let's see if they stand the test of time.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o-xpr ... rs&Ntk=All
fishshooter99
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by fishshooter99 »

I have been using T Reign pliers since last year. They're the best pliers I've ever owned.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CH5BBZ ... etractable
Expatriate Floridian living in the "Land of the Ice and Snow" that is Atlanta.
Gary