Best fishing pliers?

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Reel-Fin-Addict
Founder
Founder

Re: Best fishing pliers?

Post by Reel-Fin-Addict »

I have been using these Tsunami pliers almost 5 years light weight aluminum with tungsten line cutter. $20.00 bucks
I put on a retractable leash to keep them from going overboard. I rinse them after every trip.

Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Rinse them every trip is a key to anything and saltwater.

I have had a pair of Rapala branded for many years paired with a couple year old Calcutta forceps (the sister forceps of the Rapala shattered at the joint and the first set of Calcutta's went swimming.) I use the Calcutta forceps for mono / fluoro / and braid if I am okay with a bit of sawing.

I also carry some ceramic scissors from "Edge World 5.5" Ceramic Scissors fishing" that actually cut braid well and don't rust. ~ $13 from amazon.

I have thought about hook cutting pliers but those are not in the same weight class as the other gear.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Just bought a pair of these bass pro ones. I think they were near $30

After a couple trips of use i would say that they are pretty nice. However, I wish they were longer and skinnier. Tough getting to the treble down towards the redfish crushers. I actually kept my first redfish in probably 10 years on my last trip because the fish was bleeding and I didn't feel it would make it. Fortunately I was with a newbie who gladly accepted the fish. I'm not sure if longer pliers would've helped, but they wouldn't have hurt.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Im a little late to this party, but I personally feel I need multiple tools for these issues.

For hook extraction, I went on eBay and got some surgical steel forceps. They're like 8". I can get them into any fish mouth and way back to their gullet if need be. Strong and solid. Love them.

For cutting line, I like the $1 toenail clippers like many do. They work great and they're cheap.

For cutting hooks, I have a pair of old side cutters in a waterproof diddy bag in the backpack on my seat. They will cut some hooks, and all split rings. I really want to get some small lock cutter type pliers for having to cut a big #2 hook if I needed to.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I picked up a pair of Stanley Compound Cutters at Walmart. I then smeared them in dielectric grease then vacuum sealed them in plastic to live in my kayak until "that" day. I feel like these would have an actual shot of cutting a treble hook solo and one-handed.

I doubt that they produce more torque than my Knipex diagonals but hopefully close to same torque at a third of the price. Besides I would never return the Knipex back to the boat every time I need them elsewhere never mind the rust. The Stanley mechanism will require more handle movement for the same jaw width but for any hook I use in the kayak 0.25" is all I should need.

I think they Walmart sells the same as these.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-STHT7491 ... ACR3YX6NVZ

Video here of the same or very similar product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXkAHLlbEPQ
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9