Jackson Cuda modified hatch cover

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

zeke392
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Jackson Cuda modified hatch cover

Post by zeke392 »

I just bought this used Cuda and the hatch cover had a pretty good bow to it. I like the new covers that hinge at the front so I searched the internet looking for options. I found a post where somebody put a hinge in their cover, and somebody else added dry storage. I liked both ideas so here is what I come up with. I think the deck hatch cost about $8 and the hinge and rivets were $12. I was worried that the hinge might leak water but I gave it a good washing today and really put the water on the hinge and surprisingly it didn't leak much at all.

I knew it had some scratches on it but it has way more than I thought. Can I lightly sand the bottom to get rid of all the scrapes and scratches and then wax it or something? Also, is there any product that might bring out the color more?

Thank you,

Steve
Jackson Cuda 040 (1024x768).jpg
Jackson Cuda 041 (1024x768).jpg
Jackson Cuda 042 (1024x768).jpg
Jackson Cuda 043 (1024x768).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Jackson Cuda modified hatch cover

Post by WannaDoDat »

Looks great, Steve! That hinged opening is a cool mod.
My daughter was in my Cuda 14 all day today, taking pictures, while her boyfriend and I were fishing in the other Jacksons. She used the center hatch to keep her camera and stuff dry. The hinge would definitely make quick work of accessing things without having to unhook the whole cover. Good stuff!

I would say don't worry about the scratches unless they are deep enough to cause a leak.
Color looks good, too! If you want to be fussy then maybe apply some 303 Aerospace protectant.

Just get out an enjoy the heck out of it! :A1

Jean
jeeper50
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Jackson Cuda modified hatch cover

Post by jeeper50 »

Great job Steve can't wait to see how it helps you access the frosty bev whilest we are fishing!
'15 Hobie Revo 13
'16 Hobie Outback

In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king!
Transplanted Texan

'53 Willys CJ3B
'00 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD