Securing stuff

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Securing stuff

Post by BackCast »

They say it isn't a matter of if you'll flip your kayak, but when you'll flip it. That said, I'm one of those who is guilty of not securing things. Not paddles, PFDs, rods, tackle, cooler, net, fish grabbers, measuring stick, dry bag....basically nothing. It would be easy for me to put some sort of mesh cover over my milk crate to keep the contents inside, then secure the crate to the kayak, and I'll probably do that before my next trip. But what about things like rods, nets, paddles and all that stuff that's constantly being used? It seems like a pain to have to be constantly snapping/unsnapping each item as you use it.
So what do you do? Secure everything? Nothing? Any thoughts or tips would be helpful.
Mongo
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Securing stuff

Post by Mongo »

I always make sure that my cooler is secured to the boat! :A1 All of my tackle and valuables are stored in waterproof boxes that I hope will float. 8O Spare keys are secured to the boat and everything electronic hangs around my neck. My stake out pole has a float on it. I don't secure my paddle (hope it will float for a couple of seconds) and I agree that it does not seem practical to keep poles tethered although I occasionally tether the poles in the rod holder on the way out.

I also always secure myself to my PFD. :D
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

If it's valuable I make sure it floats or is secured.
Tackle boxes, rods, valuables, and lifejacket all float.
Paddle is secured.

I think that's everything.
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I'm actually in the planning stages of utilizing waterproof boxes - with tackle, First Aid kit, keys, licneses and valuables - and using them for flotation inside my milk crate. I have a cargo net from the back of an SUV I used to own that should serve to keep it all intact, with a bit of modification.

What do you use to secure your paddle and to make rods float? I'm constantly using my paddle as a rudder - it serves me well as a eco friendly trolling motor - but it seems like that would be difficult if the paddle was attached. And I've considered the foam sleeves to keep rods afloat but those would also seem to have issues. Wouldn't they trap salt water against the rod?

BTW, I like to think of a beer cooler as the ultimate First Aid kit. You can ride it to shore if capsized, then sit on it and drink the beer while you're waiting for a rescue boat!
kikstand454
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by kikstand454 »

Hmmm...... my crate is strapped in. My net is tethered in such a way that I can use it without in hooking.
and then that about it. My rods are NOT teathered and they won't float. The things IN my crate are not secured either. My paddle is not tethered. I'm probably asking for trouble.....

~~Dave
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

BackCast,

There are a number of DIY YouTubes. Search Kayak Paddle Leash for ideas. I made one of these [youtube]watch?v=y2DVj2kUeQ4[/youtube] using brass clips. It has held up well and saved me from trying to grab it when it went overboard. If I had it to do over again I would use tubing or curlycue plastic instead of the line.

My Crate Mate is buckled down and if I remember to keep the top latched I'm OK. Paddle is leashed rods are not.

Can't seem to figure out the you tube attachment. :20 :?:
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
jeeper50
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by jeeper50 »

Having joined the group that has, my milk crate floated because of the air trapped by the tackle boxes and the short pice of pool noodle to hold my flag setup. Lost a couple of cheap rods, a nice knife, my blue floating net. I was in north GA on the Toccoa river below Blueridge lake catching big trout. Current in river moved my debris field downstream quickly and I had to paddle quick to try to catch up.
Now everything gets secured to prevent loss. Especially the beer cooler. :A1
'15 Hobie Revo 13
'16 Hobie Outback

In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king!
Transplanted Texan

'53 Willys CJ3B
'00 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Almost any kayak paddles should float so in calm water that may not be an issue unless you pedal and it slipped overboard an hour ago. As for the rest some is tethered, some lives in hatches, and some would go swimming. I have debated with myself about how many entanglements I want in the water with me if I flip. Also Also I try to remind myself that I float and will survive a dunk with my lifejacket. Just don't dump the pro angler over whatever I do.

Launching or returning in the surf all of the rods get put away in the lay down holder and everyone else is mostly in hatches.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
BackCast
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by BackCast »

I had hoped to develop some ideas over the weekend but then the weather turned nice and plans changed. I did, however, give it a little thought last night.

Many of the you-tubes show making leashes from the coiled wires commonly found on electronic devices. Unless they've been salvaged, I have literally thousands of those available since the university quit issuing phones in the residence halls. Maybe I should keep a dozen or so.

As Jeeper mentioned, the air trapped in tackle boxes will keep a crate floating as long as the boxes are secured in it; all that is needed is something to keep the crate from floating away. That can be handled easily by drilling a small hole and addling a short length of cord with snaps, without anything being in the way. BTW, good taste on floating the Toccoa. We've vacationed at Blue Ridge twice and that area would be my other choice at a retirement destination (except that my wife isn't willing to live in the mountains).

There are a few items that I want to have readily available which won't float and won't fit in a crate, an aluminum fish ruler board for example. I think it makes more sense to put a float on the ruler than trying to secure it. I don't care if it sinks as long as the attached float comes to the surface.

Oh, beer coolers do float. That official report came about the day my brother sank his bass boat in Lake Erie.

Thanks for the comments and ideas. They provided some good ideas for me and I'm sure new kayakers can benefit from the knowledge.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

The other thing you can do for the ruler is mount it to rot resistant trim from your local hardware store. This stuff has a pvc shell with a foam core. It is used by many down here with plastic rulers affixed. Plus you can float it towards the medium and up sharks for a not so close photo "closeup".
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

I leash my net, my hawg trough, my knife, my scissors, my cutting board, with shoestrings. My paddle is attached with cotton clothesline. Stake out pole floats, Pliers have a float, back up pliers are $1 type anchor line release end has a float, water tight boxes for valuables and first aid float and these are tethered to the crate, my crate is secured, my tackle bag floats and the small tackle boxes in it are airtight and float.
Most of these lines are out of the way, but I carry a folding cut away knife attached to my PFD, and another in a sheath that rides out of the top of my leg pocket. Both of these knives are not used for anything else during the trip, they are always where they belong. I sharpen them before each trip.

The Rods are on their own. I tried the extension cords and tethers but they proved to be such a hassle that I decided to go commando! :lol:

The last time I tethered them I attached them to the side where you can attach your stakeout pole and paddle on a n Outback when we surf launched last October in San Destin. It holds 2 rods on each side very well.

Greg has it right, unless it is too fast to react, I am pushing off to save the Outback from roiling, I can climb back in and dry off very easily.