Side Image Fishfinder

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Keith55

Side Image Fishfinder

Post by Keith55 »

After purchasing a SI [side image] I find that they have to be installed below the lowest point on the keel and not able to do a thru the hull type installation. I know lots of kayakers have used the over the side with pvc type mounts inserting into rod holders. I was wondering how others have done this as perhaps a bow mount or possibly a drop mount. I am in a Lowrance ready Outback and was thinking of the possibility of removing the plate and maybe putting the transducer on a "drop" rod that I can lower and retract as needed utilizing the recess already there for the transducer. If anyone has done or knows of someone who has tried this I would love to hear how as a time saver and possibly not having to worry about damaging a transducer on experiments. Thanks in advance for any input, if I find a way that works well I will post pics after trial runs.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Side Image Fishfinder

Post by Shorewalker »

Before you go the drop the skimmer route make sure that it will fit in the recess and that it will easily retract back in and that is can't slip down at those inopportune times. A lot of the time those transducers are just too big to tuck nicely into the pocket.

There are a few commercial side mount rigging options also (RAM mounts and Mad Frog) .

Finally some old school guys go with the suction cup mount.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9