Native Slayer Propel 10

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Jw67

Native Slayer Propel 10

Post by Jw67 »

Anybody using a Native Slayer Propel 10? If so, pro's/con's??

Thanks,
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: Native Slayer Propel 10

Post by fishinbug »

I had a Native Ultimate 14.5 Propel. The biggest con is the Propel in shallow water. It is a pain in the butt to raise and lower the Propel unit.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

Jw,
I just acquired a Native Mariner 12.5 w/ propel drive.
The propel drive is very efficient and easy to peddle. The rudder system is outstanding. The Mariner obviously has a different layout vs. slayer but the mechanics are the same. I can peddle my kayak at apx. 5 knots at full speed which is effortless for the most part. When my fishing partner and I have a long distance to cover, I just hold onto his kayak and tow him which really makes no difference in effort, just a little slower speed! The speed is perfect for trolling in deeper water.
There is a nut located on the top of the peddle drive that comes out with a hex driver which allows you to grease the gears. You have to purchase a specific grease gun small enough to fit the dimensions. I just use a new type of WD40 made for greasing. You can also grease the lower unit which requires a very difficult tool to find that I need to order online.
Additionally, the only downside is obviously the issue of "propelling" into an oyster bar or submerged rock. It is not difficult to raise the drive system but you have to align the propeller a certain way to be able to pull it out of the opening which can be aggravating when you need to raise it fast. I can peddle pretty shallow water as this kayak has a tunnel-hull which reduces the actual depth the drive is beneath the kayak. I can peddle in 1.5 ft. water without rubbing. The drive pops out and you just push it forward where it sits on the front of the kayak and is very stable and somewhat out of the way.
Overall I am pleased with the system and sure beats having to constantly use your paddle. Another awesome benefit is the fact you can use to system to reverse which is great when fishing in current or backing away from the shore / bars.
Just be sure to wash down the propel well and keep the rudder cables / stainless steel parts greased and im sure you will like it. Hope this helps.
Jw67

Post by Jw67 »

This helps a lot. Thank you for the detailed review of the propel system! Sounds like a great kayak.
ctoles86
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by ctoles86 »

Yeah man. I've never used a hobie mirage drive but I'm sure they r very similar. I just really likes the hands free capabilities. You really do get a lot more time fishing rather than keeping yourself positioned and you save a lot of energy which = more time on the water esp when it gets choppy.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

If you haven't tried out a Mirage Drive it would be worth your time to test drive one before you make a decision between the Hobie and the Propel.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
CooterB
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by CooterB »

Mirage drive no question