Green Horn

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Green Horn

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Hey guys, I am new here, been lurking a while. Several of you know me from bigbendfishing.net. I have been saltwater and freshwater fishing my whole life but just got into kayaking. I've been using friends kayaks and realized how good the exercise is and it is a quiet way to fish. I live in South Ga and fish the Flint River a lot. I think I have decided on a Hobie Quest to purchase. I brought a Quest and an Outback home tonight and I love them both. I really enjoy paddling so I think I will enjoy starting out with the Quest. I like it more than any other kayak I have been on. The Outback is great but I'm afraid the Mirage drive won't last long in these shoals so I am going to take it back one day next week already know several of you and look forward to making some new friends and learn more about the best kept secret in fishing. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Flint River Pirate on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free Kayaks Pro Staff
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Green Horn

Post by jsuber »

Welcome aboard
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
RonHarrison
Founder
Founder

Post by RonHarrison »

Welcome! You'll love both of those boats!
Ron Harrison
Crawfordville, Florida
Current Ride: 2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 130!
Previously Owned: 2010 Hobie Quest.
Previously Owner: 2006 Hobie Outback.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

good to have ya. come on out to the monthly tourny in july and meet the group.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
shallowminded.too
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by shallowminded.too »

Lurking on this forum equals learning as far as i'm concerned...I chose the Quest after reading every comment related to choosing a boat. You too are following the recurring advice that is wisdom laden-'try it before you buy it', fishing from it while test driving is what did it for me. Us new guys owe these people a big thanks! Talk about 'quiet', I have had more redfish swim under me in the last couple of months while kayak fishing than ever in my flats boat, got into places I only saw on google earth previously, and met some really good people. As is true with power boats there is no perfect boat so try them and choose the one your comfortable in, you might end spending a lot of time in it.
Talltails
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Talltails »

Welcome to our little group, FRP! Many consider kayak fishing as downgrading or downsizing from a regular powerboat, or some consider it an alternative on their way up to owning a regular boat. I consider it more of a lateral move. Fishing and the time spent in a kayak is a unique way to experience the rivers and coastlines.
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Talltails wrote: Fishing and the time spent in a kayak is a unique way to experience the rivers and coastlines.
Thank Jason, I agree with you. Kayaks are gerat and most folks don't know what they are missing. I grew up with canoes on the river and enjoyed paddling them, but kayaks are so much more fun. I have had many boats and they have their place. I am excited about the opportunities that a kayak will allow even in farm ponds! :D

-Dave
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

Dave, farm ponds and kayak fishing are 2 of my favorite things. put em together and that spells fun. So you're up near sylvester? my wife's, birth-mother's family is from the minton community / oak grove area. We went to a family reunion up there about 10 years ago. i think they were either elrod or hancock.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
gggeorge
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by gggeorge »

First let me say I was born in Savanah so what I say next is legal.
BK when I was reading your last post " So you're up near sylvester? my wife's, birth-mother's family is from the minton community / oak grove area. "
I sware banjo music started playing in my head :lol:
I know that the banjos play in northern Georgia and S.Georgia is flat, red clay and farms but it just happened. Georgia+canoes(kayaks)+Familey layers= twang twang
Image[Image Image
rudderman
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by rudderman »

BK is familiar with the phrase "squeal like a pig". So the banjo music you heard may be appropriate
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Welcome aboard and enjoy the boat(s).
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

gggeorge wrote:
I sware banjo music started playing in my head :lol:
I know that the banjos play in northern Georgia and S.Georgia is flat, red clay and farms but it just happened. Georgia+canoes(kayaks)+Familey layers= twang twang
I hope you never break down in Worth County!We've got some DEEP wells over here! :mrgreen:
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Shorewalker wrote:Welcome aboard and enjoy the boat(s).
Thanks, I think I am going to hang on to the Quest and take the Outback back next week. It is a great boat but I think the price tag of the Quest will sting less. :D
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Welcome aboard. My mirage drive takes quite a bit of abusive. It probably has several hundred miles on it.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

capncrunch wrote:Welcome aboard. My mirage drive takes quite a bit of abusive. It probably has several hundred miles on it.
And about half of those miles are from the last 2 or 3 tarpon hook-ups! (Way to go, Crunch!) :D

Fish on, FRP!