Fishing gear

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

dvldog6174
Baitor
Baitor

Fishing gear

Post by dvldog6174 »

I just picked up/won a Hobie Quest and am ready to go fishing. I have read the Forgotten Coast essentials post as far as tackle but my question is what is a good rod/reel for the task. I mainly want to focus on reds, flounders, sheephead, etc. I use a baitcaster for freshwater. Is this good for the salt and also what is a good line brand, il test etc? Thanks :?:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Fishing gear

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I would swap to a spinning reel for saltwater if I was you. I will use my Shimano Calcuttas in fresh water but when fishing the flats, I prefer a spinning reel. In my personal opinion and experience with saltwater, buy a Shimano Stradic 3000 or 4000 and spool it with PowerPro. I have always prefered 7 foot rods for the flats but that is my experience in a boat, I am new to kayak fishing. You can't beat a Falcon Cara rod, they are awesome. The Stradic has a waterproof drag system and it should give you years of fishing. I think most guys on here will agree with me on that.
Feel Free Kayaks Pro Staff
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

I take both spinning and casting - mainly because one arm sometimes need a break working big poppers from the weird low angle of a kayak. For the inshore slam (ISS redfish, trout, flounder - HEY I caught one flounder once), any quality spinning reel in a 2000 to 4000 size is probably fine. A quality bait caster will also work fine for you in the salt.

Remember to rinse everything off (reels, rods and baits) with a mist of fresh water after each trip to salt. Your reels will get wetter in the kayak than in a boat especially if it goes for a swim when you miss the rod holder in your milk crate. If a reel gets completely dunked, give it extra TLC ASAP.

The rods I usually take with me for ISS have a couple of Stradics (2500, 2500, 4000)and an old ABU 6500C. I like 6.5 to 7.5 rods and 15 or 20 lb power pro as well. I hope a new Stradic 2500 CI4 will show up under the Christmas tree this year.

Another less expensive spinner that has been popular on the site is the newer Penn Sargus.

I should add most of us take a couple of rods rigged with different baits. It is a PITA to switch out baits afloat in a kayak. Not that you can't do it but the chances you drop your favorite spoon down a scupper hole are much higher.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
shallowminded.too
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by shallowminded.too »

Welcome and congrats on the new Quest! One thing I would suggest is a size 18 yarn darner(large sewing needle) stick it in a wine bottle cork and keep it handy...you will thank me after picking out your first wind knot.