kayak shoes

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Flatout

kayak shoes

Post by Flatout »

OK you "old salts" what do you wear to protect your feet when kayaking ........ I realized on my maiden voyage recently that foot protection needs to be addressed, what do you wear to protect those toes? Image
Last edited by Flatout on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
aubill
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: kayak shoes

Post by aubill »

Flatout

Rod Holder

Post by Flatout »

Looks like I need a rod holder in front of me to be my third hand on this Pro-angler, Anyone got a suggestion on the kind, brand, and price, and mount it high or low (keep it clean now!)? I'm gonna try to keep it simple and not put too much clutter onboard ..... somewhere a wise old owl said keep it simple .......!
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Get some Crocs, they are awesome. Plus they FLOAT! I have used them for years when I wade the river.
Feel Free Kayaks Pro Staff
aubill
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by aubill »

Crocs are fine on sandy bottom but not oysters or mud.
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Flint River Pirate »

aubill wrote:Crocs are fine on sandy bottom but not oysters or mud.
I have never had a problem with mine. When flyfishing I beach the boat and walk through a lot of stuff and they have been fine. Oysters might cut them if they were really sharp but I have never had a problem with mud.
Feel Free Kayaks Pro Staff
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

As for fishing rod mounts I'm going to try the Scotty Flush mount 444 for my PA and attach them to the black starboard mounting areas on each side of the boat. I think these will fit nicely. I like the idea of removing the rod holder when not in use and leaving the deck pretty clean.

Since I use mostly spinners I will probably buy the Scotty 481 combo (buying the 444 by itself is EXPENSIVE). This universal holder is supposed to hold spinners and convential rods.

FYI, I picked up the 344 flush mount and determined that it was too big for the forward mount area in effect sending me on this goose chase. I have not found anyone in Tallahassee that stocks the 444 and a coupled even unable to order through their normal channels.

Tell you what, I will order a couple tonight and then post it up when they arrive / are mounted. If you can give me 7 - 10 days, you'll see what mine look like.

As for Crocs, not only do they float but they will float away too, don't ask me how I know. I agree though Crocs are for sand, not oysters or mud (the sticky crap - like out at Hickory Mounds :lol: ).
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
popeye
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by popeye »

Talking about crocs that float - Last weekend when I was at Keaton scalloping, as I was racing back, the wind got ahold of my snorkel, as I heard a "plop" I looked backwards and saw my 50 dollar mask and snorkel slowly drifting away and sinking. I quickly threw my anchor and jumped in before I lost the spot. To bad it was only 5 feet deep and I am 6 feet tall. My feet sunk into a foot of mud. When I came out, I was missing my right croc. Delema - get my croc and risk losing my mask or hope to come back with my mask but I knew in that split second I would never find this exact spot becuse my boat was still moving on its line. Got my mask and seeing lighting on the close horizon, decided to forgo the croc.
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

I like my TEVA's similar to these.

They have stayed on my feet in gooey black mud up to my shins. They are not 100% oyster bar proof as my right heel discovered this past weekend.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

i used to use those same teva's. they were fine except for the openings at the heel and the sides. if you plan on walking oyster bars, you will need a a shoe that has a pretty thick an firm sole, and, has side protection. the vibram soled shoes have worked well for me.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
i_brew_it
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by i_brew_it »

I've been using my Teva's for a couple of years now. I've been able to walk through some pretty nasty stuff without having to worry about them coming off. They also did a decent job on the oyster bars...except for the sides of my feet like others have mentioned. One thing I didn't care for is that they weren't closed toe shoes in that I would always have to account for my feet with sunscreen across the tops of them.

Started wearing Vibram Five Fingers Shoes fishing, and I don't think I'll ever go back. They look as goofy as hell, but I'm willing to put up with that with the advantages I've gained. I've also been wearing them running/walking and now I don't have back, knee, or ankle problems...so that's a plus.

I wouldn't recommend them for most oyster bars though. They have a thin vibram sole that hugs the contours of your foot...so I would assume it doesn't provide much protection from a very determined oyster. I'll also add that I haven't been fishing from oyster bars much recently. I've been drifting along side them instead. But, I don't have to worry that much about the sunscreen or losing them in the muck. And, they're made for dry and wet conditions and dry out pretty quickly. Pricier than the previous options listed...but these also double as my everyday sneakers now...just my 2 cents.
Keg: Saison
Keg: Black Pepper Saison
cameron
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by cameron »

Vasque Hiking Boots for me every trip. Ain't purdy, but my feet are safe.
Copy of boots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rudderman
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by rudderman »

I went with Keen's mainly because of the toe protection. I''ve been cut in Teva's and had Crocs come off at the exact wrong moment. Keen's have a real footbed so they are comfortable as a boat shoe also. You will get some goofy tan lines but you can balance that out with sandals.
skitterwalk
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by skitterwalk »

my bare foot :mrgreen:
Talltails
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Talltails »

Crocs are a good all around kayak shoe. I've been kickin' the Keens lately and really like the over all comfort and protection.