HOBIE MIRAGE

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

OLD DOG

HOBIE MIRAGE

Post by OLD DOG »

I'm toying with the idea of adding a Hobie Mirage tandem to my "fleet." (I have a KW 19-6 Bay/Reef). The wife and I thought one might be fun. Any plusses/minuses?
OD
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: HOBIE MIRAGE

Post by Shorewalker »

Tandems -

Great for one adult and one kid.

Generally a bad idea for two adults.

Worse idea if those two adults are and want to stay married.

Worst idea if one (or heaven forbid both) want to fish from the kayak - refernce any of BK's post for the gory details. 8)

There are some tandems (not Mirage drive) that convert from tandem to single for parent that fish sometimes and paddle with kids other times. These kayaks have three seat locations where front / back = tandem and middle = solo. Still they these have drwabacks such as no tankwell / storage area when solo since you would have to sit in it when tandem.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
OLD DOG

Post by OLD DOG »

:) Thanks Shorewalker.
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

My suggestion is to try out a few either by going to a kayak demo day (one vendor has some but typically in the cooler months on the weekends). Or just rent a pair and try them out. You would have to call around to check availability of rentals for the given manufacturer. You could also head down to Levy Bay on Saturday and make some friends and probably test out several rides as well.

You might even be able to borrow a ride to go fishing if you ask nicely. (Unfortunately, I doubt I will be there but go over to Monthly Tournaments and post up if wanted.)
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
fishinbug
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by fishinbug »

Shorewalker wrote: Generally a bad idea for two adults.

Worse idea if those two adults are and want to stay married.

Worst idea if one (or heaven forbid both) want to fish from the kayak
I'd like to give the other side of that equation, Old Dog. My wife and I are coming up on 30 years of marriage so I think we qualify as adults. :wink: The tandem has given me the opportunity to introduce her to fishing to the point where she is now longing for the next trip and feeling deprived if we haven't gone at least once a week. It's true that I do dodge lures, but I also get to put her in the best position to catch something. I have also learned that single hook lures are the way to go thanks to the Cast the Flats fishing class. :mrgreen: I have realized that it is a really bad idea to try to fish while Diane is still learning to fish. I have also learned a lot more about fishing by being able to guide her to a catch. I hope she'll want her own kayak one day, but until that time comes the tandem allows us to share in the fun of kayaking and fishing together. It's not for everybody. They're not necessarily divorce kayaks either.
"It's not as easy as I make it look."
---thus sayeth the suber
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

In all seriousness, there is an old post on site that should be in the newbie area. Please check this out, sorry it is a little graphic but not worse than some BK's post.http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.ph ... oval#p3506
The post is entitled "Embedded Hook Removal"

Finally, consider always wearing glasses since the most graphic hookups I have seen involve human eyes and I don't know that those had acceptable medical outcomes.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler