I Reeled in four 7 footers while on vacation.

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

no-time
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

I Reeled in four 7 footers while on vacation.

Post by no-time »

Got ya,
Header should read yes, you can flip a Hobie ProAngler.

Here is the story so you don’t make the same mistake.

Was in a Bay down south looking at some bait moving near a seawall when I decided before I make my first cast I need something from the front hatch, made it the to hatch and was in the process seating back down when I lost my balance grabbed the PA side handle and pulled the Kayak over with me.
My auto inflate life jacket did its job but I could not flip the PA back up right with out touching bottom.
Pulled the PA to the seawall and was able to stand on the rocks (I do wear heavy soled drive boots) in chest deep water and flip it back over and crawl back in.
After getting back in Create Mate tackle box still strapped on the kayak but 4 rods, and a nice digital camera are under water.
PA did take in water from the front hatch but was able to paddle back to the beach and drain it with no problem.
Went to the local store and purchased a magnet which was a waste of money.
Went to a tackle shop and purchased another reel combo and a large weighted treble hook then went back the next day and was able to fish out all four 7’ rods and reels.
Could not fish out or locate the camera water to deep and murky.

Thing learned:
1) Safety gear works it’s a good thing I was wearing it and need to keep wearing it.
2) If you lose your balance just hit the water don’t flip your kayak trying to save your self.
3) Don’t forget Camera float.
4) Leash it or lose it.
5) If fishing near a seawall there is a point where the chop bouncing off the wall meets the chop heading to the wall and it a good place to make sure you’re in the center of your kayak.

Just over 1 year fishing from a Kayak and 1 flip not to bad.
Last edited by no-time on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-Time
Hobie ProAngler
Native Ultimate tandem 16
Jackson Cudu 14
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: I Reeled in and four 7 footers while on vacation.

Post by WannaDoDat »

Great post, no-time! Sorry for the mishap but very good reminders for us all.
So glad that your "go fish" with the big treble hook was able to retrieve all the rods! Bummer about the camera. I'll definitely remember this story when I finally get a camera. Will attach a float first thing. :-)
RonHarrison
Founder
Founder

Post by RonHarrison »

Great post/reminder. Sorry for the camera loss, but thanks for sharing some important points that bear frequent repeating.
Ron Harrison
Crawfordville, Florida
Current Ride: 2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 130!
Previously Owned: 2010 Hobie Quest.
Previously Owner: 2006 Hobie Outback.
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

What a bummer. Thanks for sharing the "things learned list". reminded me to buy a float for my camera. doesn't matter how water-proof it is if it's on the bottom of the sea floor.

"live and learn. otherwise, you're just living."
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Talltails
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Talltails »

Big thanks for posting this!
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

FYI I have seen a suggestion somewhere for a righting strap for the PA. Essentially a length of chunky rope attached to the handle that you can pull on the opposite side while you push down on the near side. At least that was how I remember the suggestion going.

Thank you for wearing your pfd, we don't need any more loss in this group for a long time.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
shallowminded.too
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by shallowminded.too »

Sorry about the mishap, a lesson for the rest of us. Perhaps a length of line tied to one handle then thrown over the yak with a loop in the other end, put your foot in the loop and use your body weight to right the boat. This is the same general method taught for righting a sailboat.
i_brew_it
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by i_brew_it »

shallowminded.too wrote:Sorry about the mishap, a lesson for the rest of us. Perhaps a length of line tied to one handle then thrown over the yak with a loop in the other end, put your foot in the loop and use your body weight to right the boat. This is the same general method taught for righting a sailboat.
Now that's not a bad idea. Thanks for the info. I might need to get a rig like that for my PA.
Keg: Saison
Keg: Black Pepper Saison
no-time
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by no-time »

Was hoping it would help.

Inflatable PFD I wear has HIT (hydrostatic activation) automatically inflate when submerged in 4 or more inches of water and not inadvertently due to rain, spray or humidity. I take it home and rise it with the water hose and its ready for the next trip and at 270 it floated me just fine.

If you have a camera pole put a float on it and the camera thinking about adding a peace of reflecting tape to the pole also.

Will make a flip rope to help right the PA when I flip it again.

It is defiantly a live and learn sport but a nice red or jack carville will quickly help remind me why I started this sport.
No-Time
Hobie ProAngler
Native Ultimate tandem 16
Jackson Cudu 14
cotton
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by cotton »

Don't feel bad, I only made it 2 trips before my one and only flip.

Your post might just have saved someone a new rod, camera, kayak or life.

Thanks!!!
A better Kayaker today, than yesterday.
Red Hobie Revolution
Green Native Slayer 12
Sand Hobie Pro Angler 14
jennisfan
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by jennisfan »

Thank you for the reminder. I sometimes get in the rut of treating my safety equip in my yak like I do the seatbelt in my truck. With the attitude of: I am just running up to store, I wont need it. I literaly have to tell and argue with myself to put them both on. But I have been wearing them lately. Again thanks for the heads up.
Dont think just FISH!!!!!!!!
Hobie Quest
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

Drag the bottom with a weighted treble hook for lost overboard rods. Great technique
popeye
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by popeye »

You should read more of my post - I think I have lost more items then the Titanic
Hate it when it ruins the day.

Good Judgement comes from Experiance - Experiance comes from Bad Judgement
leroycnreds
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by leroycnreds »

Rolled twice in one day and i learned a lot. Always wear your pfd. You can replace the gear.
BAITSTORE GUIDED TOURS
LAUNCH SITE PRO-STAFF
WAFFLE HOUSE FAN CLUB
TEAM WANNA BE
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

capncrunch wrote:Drag the bottom with a weighted treble hook for lost overboard rods. Great technique
HA! This has long been my method of retrieving lost items and other angler's broken-off fish still attached to a float, etc. :P

Last year, while jigging I hooked a beautiful rod and baitcaster. :D This year I lost the same rig, in the same spot, to a tarpon who pulled it from the rod holder on the beach! Could never locate it with the treble-locator. Phooey, but can't complain. It was only mine for a while and I'm sure that someone else has found it since. Fishing karma. Let it go 'round in circles. 8)

Oh, btw, if anybody finds a little red and white Mirrodine suspending lure at SGI, that's from me to you. Fish on! xoxoxoxox