New Guy sayin hello

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Topher

New Guy sayin hello

Post by Topher »

I just wanted to say hello and thank you for all the great information. I'm a Great Lakes (Michigan) touring kayaker (spent most of my life (58) on big water in small boats) that just "discovered" the Forgotten Coast a couple of years ago and I've been back each year since, camping at St. Joe State Park, and day trippin' the islands. I'm planning a two week trip this year (early December) and plan a mix of the developed campground and back-country (St. Joe Preserve, Gap Point, Little SGI??)). Last year was my first attempt (November) at fishing while touring (aka: randomly flinging of miro-lure) but the wind was always blowing so hard, my "drift" was uncontrollable (no anchor), but I did manage a few ladyfish and a 14" red!! Trying to pull those trebble hooks (forgot needle-nose), hang on to the fish (no gripper), and not bury a hook in my flesh, while remaining upright, proved to be quite the challenge! Live and learn.........then I discovered this site (halla-freekin-lulia!!) and hope to have my act a bit more organized.......ok a LOT more organized (read $$ investment!). I figured I owed it to myself as preparation for retirement (another 5 years with luck...but who's counting besides me). I registered so I could access the fishing reports, and have studied up and will keep ane eye peeled as time draws neer to see whats happenin' where. I know fish local will depend on weather in December, and I'm still pretty fascinated just cruisin around checkin things out, but........I hope to make a better showing, especially if the weather happens to co-operate. I'm hoping there will be a few warm calm days where I can cruise the flats (have anchor, drift chute, and stake out pole aka: old ski pole) and toss a gold spoon or topwater, or flip a jig in some likely lookin spots. Depending on lots of variables ($$savings at the time).......might even score a charter with pro's! It'll be another solo trip.....which I'm all good with. I spent a lot of time back country camping and kayak touring, and dream about it most of the time I'm not doing it. My wife's camping days are over, my brother is my main compadre' on these ventures, but he's in construction and can't blow off the work (except that bow hunting trip in Oct!). I'd invite friends, but I'd just end up worryin' about em......skill sets dont match. I'll probably spend most of my time on the St. Joe Penninsula (man.....talk about paradise!!) but plan on covering ground on the west end of Apalach bay as well (Little SGI, St. Vincent). I'm pretty new to this whole website posting deal. Didn't want to be accused of "lurking" uncomfortably. Thought I'd drop in, say hello....and THANK YOU for all the great advice. Sounds like you know how to have a good time on the water! Thanks again!! Topher
shallowminded.too
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: New Guy sayin hello

Post by shallowminded.too »

Hello topher! You picked a good place to lurk, these are good folks and very informative. Just remember when you photograph great catches make certain there is something in the background that we recognize....just for confirmation purposes. :mrgreen:
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Welcome Topher! When your December plans come together, post some of your itinerary in the "Going Fishing" section. There are always people looking to hook up and fish. If you do any fishing around St Marks I will be glad to show you around. There are lots of good people on this board who can design a charter trip for you, Jason, Liam and Mike to name three.
I have camped/fished on Little St George a few times. Its really pretty there but totally primative.
Wannadodat pretty much owns the campground on St George and can probably tell you anything you want to know about it. Hope to see you here soon. Be safe, Bill.
leroycnreds
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by leroycnreds »

Welcome Topher. I grew up camping and fishing on little sgi years ago even though our beach house was in PCB. Was married this past memorial day weekend in apalachicola, spent 4th of July and Labor Day at SGI and plan on being there next month. I hope you enjoy your time there for it is a special place. :D

PS. Never mind $H*!head at the fishermans headquarters he is always grouchy. :20
BAITSTORE GUIDED TOURS
LAUNCH SITE PRO-STAFF
WAFFLE HOUSE FAN CLUB
TEAM WANNA BE
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

shallowminded.too wrote:Hello topher! You picked a good place to lurk, these are good folks and very informative. Just remember when you photograph great catches make certain there is something in the background that we recognize....just for confirmation purposes. :mrgreen:
You got that right, shallowminded, too!! :mrgreen:

Welcome, welcome, Topher!! Great first post. Looking forward to many more like that and meeting you out on the water.

Don't know 'bout owning the campground, Bill. Just know I love, love , love that area and never get tired of exploring and enjoying it! My daughter, "the original wdd" knows all about Little St George. She and her "League of Fitness" friends have done the "Little St Georgy Orgy" and other mayhem-filled adventures there and other locales. 8) She spent the night in gale force winds and rain there with a few brave souls scouting out a trip. Those early years spent having adventures together really paid off for both of us. Great, great times to be had in our neck-o-da-woods.

:A1 Jean
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

Allright Wannadodat, I Googled your aforementioned event on little St.George island since I had never seen it listed on any of the community calendars. Blue crab festival check, stone crab festival check, butterfly festival check, even worm gruntin' festival check. Georgy Orgy no check. The only Google hit was right back to your post.

I'm with others though, it sure seems like you spent more time at SGI state park than any of the park rangers. 8O
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

it's the portal at sgi. :lol:
welcome aboard topher.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Another brouhaha (or brew ha ha in honor of Halloween) that The Original wdd planned was the "Dog Island Pile-On". Don't think she posted that in the Limelight either!
We can always get her to plan a brew ha ha for us! Good times! 8)
jennisfan
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by jennisfan »

Welcome aboard Topher. I am new to kayak fishing also, just started in Feb. The guys and gals here are amazing. They will help with anything, except for blacking out landmarks at their honey holes :( . The knowledge these members share really cuts down on the learning curve. Bk took me out for my first trip and he seemed as excited as I was when i caught my first fish. Sometimes I feel bad though, they do alot for us and we cant really give back. I guess the smiles they put on faces is their pay off. Again welcome aboard, and hope to meet sometime.
Dont think just FISH!!!!!!!!
Hobie Quest
Topher

Post by Topher »

10-4 on the pay back. The education has been great. My meger attempt at payback (best I got)..... if you're not already aware.......check the Free Charts posting in the Launches section. Everyone should know about the FREE, dowloadable, printer friendly charts (Booklet Charts) now available on line directly from the NOAA. A great size for those of us in kayaks. You only have to print usable sections. Laminate the page.....you're good to go! And.....It takes armchair exploration to a whole new level. Leave no stone unturned! (Check out those Great Lakes too!)