Alligator Point question

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Alligator Point question

Post by Yak Crevalle »

We take a family vacation every year to SGI in late June and I've become pretty familiar with fishing the bay, but we're looking at a couple homes on Alligator Point near the marina and I'm really wondering about the fishing there. Where are the best places to target reds and trout in AH? It looks like to me that we'd need to be closer to the entrance to AP to get into some good reds and that'd be a long trip via kayak from the houses we're looking at. Maybe I'm off and we can get into some good fish close to the marina? Any help?

Also heard that it's pretty common for the sailcats to hit topwater at AH. Great... :lol:
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
hammy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Alligator Point question

Post by hammy »

You can sometimes get trout on the flats around other side of the point. Though, I think you may want to fish docks and bars heading the other way.
capncrunch
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by capncrunch »

One word.......TARPON :!:
skitterwalk
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by skitterwalk »

Agreed with crunch! break out the binuclears and look for the rolling poons! although tossong a topwater will find em just as fast :wink:
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

Well, looks like I'll have to just keep the advice for another time. We'll be headed back to SGI and almost right at Rattlesnake Cove. Works out great since I already know a few good spots near the house we'll be in, but I need to try to figure out what I can about Goose Island and the area right around it since we'll be a short peddle away. And it's time to start adding to my small saltwater gear/tackle collection... :D
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
abcarias
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by abcarias »

They are both great fisheries. I have fished both extensively but i think SGI is a more dynamic fishery. Next time you try AH put in at Sun and Sand and throw top water. But we catch them all the way to Lanark along the shore. Also try the back side of little SGI sometime, great grass flats.
><}}}> BeanBagSteve <{{{><
LCallaghan
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by LCallaghan »

They both are great, I would hit the 98 west side of AH and start exploring that area.
Image Image Image