Stake out pole.

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Redbelly
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Stake out pole.

Post by Redbelly »

Well I sit here thinking today would have been warm enuff for me to try yakking. The cold weather has just shut me down lately, I know....what a wimp! :roll:

Here's my question: What is a good stake out pole to get? I plan on renting for several trips to get a feel for where I want to put the jack in a first yak.

I see a stake out pole would be needed.

What else should I get being a renter for awhile, that doesn't come with a rental yak? :?:

Thanks for any advice.
Slayer 14.5
Panacea_M
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Stake out pole.

Post by Panacea_M »

I used a homemade job for a few years and it worked well. One inch PVC with a 45 degree angle cut at the bottom. Filled with foam to keep mud out of it and to help it float. Put a "T" on the top and cap the ends. Mine was about 4' tall or maybe 4 1/2'.
Now I use the Captain Dick's SOP and it works better but costs considerably more. There is no worry about it breaking and it is light and it floats. Good luck!
I could use a dog from the hair that bit me.
Flint River Pirate
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Redbelly, what about a powerpole? Ha!
Feel Free Kayaks Pro Staff
tallayakee
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by tallayakee »

now we're just hijacking...but I love the commercial where they put a power pole on the lawnmower and tricycle!
Yak Crevalle
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Yak Crevalle »

I got a 3/4" fiberglass electric fence post that is 7 feet long that already had one end ground down to a point. I plan to cut it down to about 5 or 6 feet and putting a "T" handle on the end...if I can find a good one. I may end up having to use PVC. The post was fairly inexpensive at around $10 shipped and it looks, to me anyways, just like what is used on the Wang anchors (although I have not seen one in person, the material and measurements seem to add up).
Hobie Compass
Hobie Compass Duo
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

Lowes at Centerville road, go to the paint counter, on the west end of the counter there are 6 foot wooden paint roller handles with metal screw end and a drilled hole at the other end, $4.99
or Harbor Frieght, on the rear wall, 6 foot metal handled (hollow) metal screw tip push brooms for $9.99.

"Fish don't care how much you pay for your tackle" - Uncle Sharky, Captain of the KENEBBET, 1965.
Redbelly
Yakaholic
Yakaholic

Post by Redbelly »

I like dat BigIrish
Slayer 14.5
rudderman
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by rudderman »

I'm still using the one I made like panacea m's. I made two for about $10.