Hello From New Mexico

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

jross
Baitor
Baitor

Hello From New Mexico

Post by jross »

Hello all,

Want to say hey and introduce myself. The title of this post may seem odd - it's a long cast from the high desert of the west to the Forgotten Coast...

After spawning in the emerald waters of the panhandle, then migrating to the east coast & back, my juvenile restlessness was lured in by the military twitch-bait of "adventure". Thirty plus years later and its time to return to the headwaters where I hatched...or close enough.

I managed to convince my mid-western wife to check out that little-known arch on the profile of Florida. I'd never been east of PCB myself (or North of St.Pete). To say we were both hooked is an understatement. In, oh, about 700 days (but who's counting) we're casting off from the desert (if I can sell my house) and dropping anchor in PSJ. The PSJ to Carabelle area reminds me of Destin, circa 1968, when I first became "aware" of the outdoors, via fishing natch' (thanks Dad).

Since leaving FL I've fished rarely (mostly hunting; Elk, coyotes, desert quail, Mule deer, etc). An occasional trek to Alaska and Belize helps, but too far and too expensive for regular enjoyment. A clue concerning my intent to return to those idyllic days of of my pre-adult-responsibility-life (fishing the flats - EVERY DAY - from my 1-ton wilderness canoe; trolling for 'Kings' from my little center-console) is this; I kept the same boat!

It's been in "dry" storage for years. That's one good thing about the desert (nothing rusts). Couple of times a year hauling it 3 hours (one way) to a tiny desert lake gets old but keeps it running. Plan was to drag it cross-country (with all the wife's stuff in the moving van) and pick up my fishing life where it left off years ago. Watching the painful lurch upwards in gas prices has me worried; would I be able to AFFORD to use this machine in a couple of years?

Then I find this site.

Never been in a Kayak (though my dad built one from a kit in the sixties). However, from From following the posts here for the last six months or so I'm more than intrigued. And the fishing reports & pictures are killing me! I'm going to keep the CC (paid for) but I'm really looking forward to what sounds like a "simplier way". So, I'll end this tome with a request or two...

We get back to PSJ every 6-12 months. I try to hire a local guide each time (still remember the
tasty 'Red I hooked with the help of Capt'n Andy last June). This next time, in April, I want to try the 'Yak' way. If anyone can point me to a guide I'd appreciate it. All I can bring with me is a big smile. Would like to go in the PSJ area but have no problem traveling an hour or two east if needed.

Thanks,
Jeff
Fishbaitbilly
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Re: Hello From New Mexico

Post by Fishbaitbilly »

Welcome jross!
You picked a great place to return to your "water roots". There are several pro guides on here that will probably contact you. I can tell you this, "you won't find nicer people, or better guides than these guys, no matter how long you look". Hope to see you on the water soon.
jsuber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jsuber »

There are some good guys over at Cape San Blas that can show you around those waters or come on over and fish with us.
Jeff Suber

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

2022 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2019 Hobie Outback
Malone Trailer
Penn Battle III
Bone One-Knocker and Gold ADL spoon
shallowminded.too
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by shallowminded.too »

Welcome...you might find keeping your motor boat will pay off in toting a yak to an even more remote shallow nearly inaccesible fish holding universe, just a thought?
jross
Baitor
Baitor

Post by jross »

Thanks for all of your responses...

>>>
Welcome...you might find keeping your motor boat will pay off in toting a yak to an even more remote shallow nearly
inaccesible fish holding universe, just a thought?
>>>
Yes, I've heard of this - technique, not the specific location :). I will have a lot to learn and catch up on. Tuff to get rid of a paid for boat...

Just returned from 4 days in the Gila Nat'l Forest (beautiful country)...sitting there in a snow storm, minus 7 degrees with 15 knot wind...my mind drifted to warmer place - in a kayak (or standing on the flats with WARM water up to my thighs)...ahhhh

Thanks again, I'm going to live vicariously thorough this site for a while.
Jeff
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Nothing like sitting through a snowstorm to dream about the warm waters from whence you came.....

Look forward to hearing about your rediscovering the joys and beauties of our area.

Jean
IS2K1
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Post by IS2K1 »

Big difference between PCB and NM. My daughter lived in Ruidiso several years and I would go visit her and then head to the San Juan to go trout fishing. You anywhere near there?
jross
Baitor
Baitor

Post by jross »

IS2K1,

Live in Albuquerque. Spent a little time in Ruidoso (mostly hunting near there, not fishing). San Juan is a great trout water for sure. Lately I've not had much time or inclination for cold-water fishing. Last time at San Juan we did pretty good, though that river (quality waters section) is almost like cheatin :)

Jeff