New to the area and the sport

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

New to the area and the sport

Post by Geoyaker »

hello all, just wanted to drop a line or two to introduce myself and try to get some info. I am a recent transplant from the OBX of NC. I grew up there and went away (for a long time) while I was in school. I recently got my PhD in Geology (hence the user name) and got a job working as a research geologist. I live in the Panacea/Mashes Sands area and just started kayak fishing. I grew up fishing for largemouth bass with my dad on the bays and rivers of eastern NC. he was very good at it and taught me a lot. while on the OBX and at ECU I learned spearfishing from a group of spearos in my department. so over the last few years I have been spearing the OBX. I used to do eco-kayak tours on the beach so i loved kayaking so i finally decided to combine everything when i moved down here. My girlfriend and I both picked up a Tarpon 140 from Wilderness and I have to say so far I love that boat. We have taken it out several times just yaking but recently (over the last month) I have started to equip mine for fishing. I have a canal in my back yard that I launch from that dumps me into the mouth of the Ochlockonee Bay. So if anyone has a geology question about the coast or Florida, let me know and I will do my best to answer it or find someone here that can. btw if Nestle drops the water level any on the Wacissa River you could see a Lake Jackson, or worse the Lakeland strawberry debacle occur. so let me get off my soapbox and continue. So needless to say i am new to this type of fishing (flats, etc) for these species, so any help would be great. I would also like to know if there is any where that I can try in or around the mouth of the Ochlockonee bay area (somewhere I can paddle to without putting the yaks in the truck). Well i think that's about it for now. I look forward to sharing my fishing trips and learning from you.

*need to think up a nifty signature line*
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Re: New to the area and the sport

Post by bk »

Welcome aboard Geoyaker!
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Panacea_M
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by Panacea_M »

Welcome aboard, Geo. I'm in Panacea quite a bit so track me down if you'd like to meet up and fish.
Matt
I could use a dog from the hair that bit me.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

Look forward to meeting you! Great area to live. See ya out there!

Jean
ShallowMinded

Post by ShallowMinded »

OK maybe its not exactly a geology question but there is something thats been bothering me for years and Ive never gotten more than a very vague explanation. How is that it that Destin (roughly 60 miles west of me) and the St Marks area (roughly 60 miles East) each have 2 high tides and 2 low tides every 24 hours and here I sit in Panama City with only ONE high and ONE low tide in the same time period ? It just doesnt seem possible but there it is. Any one else reading this is welcome to jump right in too!
And oh yeah, welcome aboard, hope to meet you soon.
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

ShallowMinded wrote:How is that it that Destin (roughly 60 miles west of me) and the St Marks area (roughly 60 miles East) each have 2 high tides and 2 low tides every 24 hours and here I sit in Panama City with only ONE high and ONE low tide in the same time period ? It just doesnt seem possible but there it is. Any one else reading this is welcome to jump right in too!
I always wonder that too. I think David Cook sums it up the best. this is a link given to me by the Coastal Guys.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/e ... v99353.htm
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -Bruce Lee
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

This 1996 journal article (google search - diurnal tide) looks really hard to read but may provide the answers you seek. I will enclose the title and abstract you can look it up from there. (I'm joking of course but somebody thinks this very important.) It has been a long time since I solved the Laplace function for diurnal tides..... ah never mind - basically if the world was actually round then everywhere would have semi diurnal tides (two high and two lows). We can assume by inference then that the world is actually flat in PCB.
ON THE THEORY OF THE DIURNAL TIDE
RICHARD S. LINDZEN '
University of Oslo, Blindern, Norway
ABSTRACT
Laplace's tidal equation for diurnal tides of longitudinal number one is investigated. It is found that in addition
to the previously found solutions (Hough Functions) corresponding to positive equivalent, depths there are also
Hough Functions corresponding to negative equivalent, depths. Both are necessary for the representation of observed
tidal data.
As an application of the Hough Functions the diurnal surface pressure oscillation resulting from diurnal variations
in insolation is computed. It is found that the insolation model due to Sichert can account for only one-third
of the observed pressure oscillation.
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9
ShallowMinded

Post by ShallowMinded »

Not at all Shorewalker. PCB isnt flat. Its just a urinal.
WannaDoDat
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by WannaDoDat »

ShallowMinded wrote:Not at all Shorewalker. PCB isnt flat. Its just a urinal.
And the pisser is a low flow toilet.
JT
Yaking Monster
Yaking Monster

Post by JT »

[quote][Not at all Shorewalker. PCB isnt flat. Its just a urinal./quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoyaker
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by Geoyaker »

I need some help for this weekend. since i am new to this type of fishing, I don't fully understand the behavior of the fish yet. so I am planning on going out either sat or sun or both. so here is what weatherunderground is telling me. Saturday - 59 and Clear, Sunday 61 and Clear. Water temp right now in apalach is 50.0 and the pressure is 30.21in, and the tides...

2011-02-12 7:19 AM EST Sunrise
2011-02-12 11:00 AM EST 1.75 feet High Tide
2011-02-12 2:23 PM EST 1.21 feet Low Tide
2011-02-12 6:23 PM EST Sunset
2011-02-12 8:10 PM EST 2.22 feet High Tide
2011-02-13 4:49 AM EST -0.11 feet Low Tide
2011-02-13 7:19 AM EST Sunrise
2011-02-13 12:08 PM EST 2.01 feet High Tide
2011-02-13 4:09 PM EST 1.22 feet Low Tide
2011-02-13 6:24 PM EST Sunset

I am wondering with this week being colder (54,55,55,48) and raining but this weekend being nice and sunny, what should i be looking for? I don't need to know exact spots but general areas (up in the rivers, on the flats, etc) and what to throw? anything will help. Thanks in advance
bk
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by bk »

the saying for winter fishing is "low and slow". That said, if you can find warmer water and baitfish, there's a good chance that there will be some reds around.
this time of year, i tend to concentrate on deeper areas. whether it's up a creek or on the flats.

as for the change in weather and it's affect. the warmer part of the winter days seems to produce better for me.
"i said flotation is groovy and easy. Even a jellyfish would agree to that." - jimi
Shorewalker
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by Shorewalker »

BK said..
the warmer part of the winter days seems to produce better for me.
Is that because on the colder days you are snuggled up in front of the fire at your house though? :lol:
Orange Wildy Ride 135
Tan Hobie Pro Angler
Green Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15
Green/White Perception Tribe 9