Econfina Question

New to kayak fishing, come on in for answers.

Moderators: Talltails, LCallaghan, jsuber

garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Econfina Question

Post by garydroze »

I've never fished Econfina River before, but may take off work to explore it this Friday. Some newbie questions for you experts, based on a Google Earth map in front of me:

1. I know there's launching at the state park, but the satellite photo also shows "Mossy Hammock Grade" parallel to the river on the east side, ending at a side creek that joins Econ almost a mile downriver. Is that a private road, or can I use it to get a bit closer to the gulf?

2. On the way to the gulf there are a few side creeks on both sides that look worth trying, plus a nice maze of creeks (map calls them "Oyster Creek") just west. Has anybody explored them with good results?

As always, thanks for the veteran responses. This will help me determine whether I should even try competing with the prop-drivers at Saturday's NFGFC tourney. And I'll report what I find if I go Friday.

Cheers!
-Gary
hammy
Post Warrior
Post Warrior

Re: Econfina Question

Post by hammy »

If from yak, I would skip Econfina and take Mossy Hammock to Hickory Mounds. The road is likely public but the end could be private property As far as the other stuff, I have not fished much to the immediate west of Econ but have produced some reds out of Econfina Bay and in those creeks to the east.
BigIrish
Tall Teller
Tall Teller

Post by BigIrish »

I thought the Props made you launch where they launch?
garydroze
Yak Daddy
Yak Daddy

Post by garydroze »

You could well be right. I'm going strictly by the letter for this months's tourney announcement, which says launch on the Econfina, and weigh-in at the State Park Ramp. If they make us launch from that ramp, I'll probably pass. Have heard stories of yakkers getting near drowned from motorboat wakes there.